MSE News: The new energy provider with the cut-price promise (Ovo)

Options
2»

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The comparison site from Ovo is misleading ... or rather it doesn't cover all the tariffs/costs from other suppliers.

e.g. if you are an electricity customer only of Scottish Power and pay quarterly by direct debit, you are guaranteed a £50 annual discount for prompt payment (assuming a DD doesn't bounce) yet the Ovo site doesn't allow for this even though it asks for current payment method.

This £50 difference could make the £46.70 annual saving claimed by Ovo into a £3.30 oncost ... and you have to pay by monthly DD with Ovo so who knows what they will set that at :eek:

Sample data:
    Eastern region, Economy 7 tariff
    779 night units
    2337 day units (representing 25% off peak usage)
    ...Ovo also pledged to keep tariffs simple, something the industry has recently been crying out for. It charges a single price per unit used, rather than complicated dual pricing depending on consumption...
    ... but it has a standing charge too! :rolleyes:
    Most companies have single tier pricing when they also charge a standing charge.

If you want to see what true single tier pricing is, take a look at Ebico
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • oldhenry
    oldhenry Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    so they fund their business from your bank account, as others do, but more blatently. So if they go under with debts , you lose a lot more that if you owed them( that would be 0).
    I think I will give them a miss after the experiences above, great post - thanks
  • Capistan
    Capistan Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Options
    They don't look like their tarrifs are that much lower, what with all the tie details and everything, I am still trying to work out which is the cheapest which is still hard work because of tie-ins which I want to avoid.
    Prices still seem way to high.
    Toffs laying into the less well off? Surely not!! :naughty:

The Following 932 Users Say Thank You to Capistan For This Useful Post: Show me >> :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure