'Is the economy in an L, a W or a V?' poll results/discussion

Former_MSE_Lawrence
Former_MSE_Lawrence Posts: 975 Forumite
edited 22 September 2009 at 9:51PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll between 14-21 September 2009:

Is the economy in an L, a W or a V?

Some say we’ve just seen the summer of love, with economic indicators showing the recession is slowing. Yet is this the beginning of the end, or just a temporary pause before another big economic dip?

Which of these is CLOSEST to your view of the shape of the economic growth?

L. A flat(ish) period will follow the sharp drop we’ve just had. - 47% (3631 votes)
V. We’ll now have a sharp rise following the sharp drop. - 8% (659 votes)
W. We’ve had a sharp drop but it's going to drop again. - 35% (2724 votes)
?. I haven’t a clue. - 10% (774 votes)
Total Votes: 7788

This vote has now ended, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Saucepot
    Saucepot Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    No one has a crystal ball, or at least one that works. The future is unwritten.
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • Absolutely, no one has a crystal ball. However, in my view the rise we're seeing at present is probably down to mass redundancies and outsourcing so Companies look 'healthier'. But, when there's so many unemployed who's going to be buying the goods out there? Companies are holding onto their budgets so no new products are going to sell ... it's hard to get a job right now, so no-one's going to buy ... I'm opting for a W I'm afraid, but I sure hope I'm wrong!
    I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be gloomy, when the sun shines out your bum? :D
  • The only thing that can be described as having a shape at the moment is the population growth curve... :D
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I put W, for what it's worth.

My feeling is that we'll see positive growth in the third quarter, as the exhuberance in the stock market and housing market causes an upsurge in business.

However I do think we'll have at least another negative quarter, as people continue to pay down debt and lagging indicators like unemployment take time to work their way through the economy.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Que serah serah.
    Like everyone else I don't know and I don't care we''kl just have to deal with whatever comes. The only certainty is change.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can we have a J for the overoptimists?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • Saucepot
    Saucepot Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    I'm thinking "loop the loop" shape, because there is no guarentee time is linear. It's only an assumption of the OP.
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • Somewhere between L and W. I guess things wll pick up a bit around Xmas, with the shops and their offers to entice people to spend on pressies but January will be like tumbleweed so it'll drop again....I don't see any sharp drops as such but Jan will be quiet compared with December so it'll appear more of a drop than it really is.
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2009 at 12:45PM
    Saucepot wrote: »
    I'm thinking "loop the loop" shape, because there is no guarentee time is linear.
    that sounds clever :D
  • I voted L but, I'm between L and W. My main reasoning is the mess government finances are in - public spending is going to have to come down and taxes are going to have to up, putting downward spending pressure on households and business for quite a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure