My College Library is closing for nearly 6 months!!!

Options
Flaming College are closing the Library for Refurb on 22nd of May intil mid-October!!!!

I understand it has to be done and they are letting us have 30 books out over the summer but exams are on until midaway through May and then resits in August/September!!. Plus I can't get access to the journals I need to start my dissertation this summer - apaart from the ones on Athens(electronic catalogue) - but these only go back for a few years and I may need some from ealy 2000 or even '90's!!

Aaaaaarrgh!!!!! I went and got 5 out straight away on Friday - have to get another 5 tomorrow!!!

Don't know what to do now as this is going to !!!! up my study plans and am now havoing to rush my Aims & Objectives, Methodology and Litereature stuff so I can sort of guesss what I'm going to need - have exams to get eady for as well!!!!:mad:
Noli nothis permittere te terere
Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
[STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

Comments

• Sillychuckie
    Sillychuckie Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any other colleges/unis nearby?
    I know that as students in Manchester, we were allowed to use the libraries at the universities of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan, UMIST and Salford. You could even take books out at one, and return them at another (but heavier conditions were placed on you).
    Maybe you can use another uni's one, especially as yours is closed. Speak to your own library etc. If the relationship isn't currently set up, it might be something they can look into (although, probably wont happen).
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    get organised and try photocopying/scanning journal articles ready for the summer

30 books? wowzers! although i suppose it means they have less to work around
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well we've only just been given the pre-dissertation lecture and I haven't even finalised Aims and Objectuves yet so no idea what I'll need yet - we're meant to have the whole summer to sort thatout!

I'#ve got 2 major presentations to do and an exam and a viva to do in the next fortnight so how do I organise that as well - + 2 kids to squeez in - not a miracle worker yet!!!
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• pavlovs_dog
    Options
    is there no other major library's near you? or other uni libraries?

why not ask at your library, im sure they must have to a) inform all tutuors of the potential disruption and b) provide some sort of alternative to those who need it, like yourself
    know thyself
  • saintstreaky
    saintstreaky Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    When we did this at work provision was made to access the resources - not directly, but through the library staff who would fetch required items. Talk to your friendly library assistant very nicely - chocolate can help too :)
  • KeyserSoze_3
    KeyserSoze_3 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Use the City library, they usually have much as any University library, well the one in Birmingham does.
    Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back.
  • elisebutt65
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yeah - I use my local library in Leamington anyway and tend to order books if I need them - at least i can have them for 3 weeks at a time then - it's just the journals that I'll need mainly as I really need current research for my dissertation. I can access most of them through Athens but there are some that I need on paper - IYKWIM?

• pavlovs_dog
    Options
    are all in-house resources going to be completely off limits to students during the maintenance work?

i suppose the only consolation is the lovely new surroundings you'll have to finish off your disertation in. not much help to you now though, i know :rolleyes:
    know thyself
  • elisebutt65
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well - we will be able to order journals from an office set up for this but everything else is off limits - anyway - question may be moot now as we've just had our 3rd year meeting - what to expect etc and college are now offering a 1 semester bridging programme - usually offered to Foundation students or hnd's but available to us now if we want to get some extra cresits - or jsut for addicts to study like me - lol. Means I can put off my dissertation for another semester - at least take a bit longer anyway to do it and get another 80 credits - Must get over this obsession with getting a first - lol!!!

• Ferris
    Ferris Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    you might want to sign up for UK Libraries Plus if your institution is a member... and if they're not a member, go and have a good shout at them...

http://www.uklibrariesplus.ac.uk/

it enables you a minimum of reference access (including journals) in most uni libraries nationwide. certain types of student (distance learning, part-time, postgrads) can borrow from them too. its useful if you're away from your uni library during the holidays too, i guess.

if you are based in leamington, then coventry and warwick are members, as are all three birmingham unis, and both leicester unis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure