Emergency Taxing

Options
Hi there, sorry if this is not on the right board, I'm very new to all this but I heard that this would be the best site to come to about this issue.

I've been a bit of a ditz for the past year and while I've been looking at my payslips and the NI I have been paying looked a little bit high I have never once thought to check my tax code until today. Only today have I discovered that I have been on the emergency tax code 647L/0 since April this year and before that 603L/1 since August last year. I don't know how this could be or how to go about finding what my tax code should be.

Also if I do contact my tax office, is there is a chance that I might have paid not enough tax and they would start taking more off me(obviously this is not what I want).

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Guys.

Hannah

Comments

• stockport
    Options
    Hi Hannah,

Your employer should have given you a P46 to fill out. Best thing to do is contact your tax office, address should be on your wage slip, or it will give you a tax office code, which you can type into the HMRC site to get address. Your code should be 647L without the /1. See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1200239 for a similar post for more information. Hope you get this sorted out soon.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    You are not on emergency code for this year becasue your employer knows how much you have earned this tax year.
    For last year you may be due a refund and you need to write to your tax office setting out all your employments for the year and asking them to check your liability. Its highly unlikely that you have underpaid as E code is designed to collect more or less the correct tax from most people.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport