MSE News: Comet launches trial white goods scrappage scheme

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Electrical firm Comet will give you 20% off a new appliance for trading in your old white goods by the end of Monday ..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Not much good if you don't own any already. Another firm doing their usual Sale but cashing in on the word scrappage.

Really .... is it SO quiet in MSE Towers that you have to invent "news"?
  • If Comet were serious about this they would make this a permanent arrangement all year round not just for a couple of days. Your right PasturesNew, its just a weekend sale!!!
  • Good scheme if you are looking for a new appliance.Just my luck, had to buy a new cooker last week!
    I know this sounds envionmentally good but surely chucking the old appliance in landfill is not?
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    We are thinking about an undercounter freezer, 4 on the comet website for the scrappage scheme. Starting from £379 - £549.

eeerrrmmmm maybe not. I'd rather buy 2 Beko ones from tesco direct over the period thanks
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Purchased an electric cooker last weekend. Comet wanted £15 to remove my old cooker. What happened in a week?

Anyway, found the one we liked at Comet, purchased it elsewhere online afterwards and saved more than 20% anyway.
    Pants
  • Got all excited then as comet is the cheapest place for the fridgefreezer we want and an extra 20% off would be great, shame it only applies to bosch, siemens and neff :mad:
  • calash
    calash Posts: 3,566 Forumite
    I won, I won, I won!
    Loonytoons wrote: »
    Got all excited then as comet is the cheapest place for the fridgefreezer we want and an extra 20% off would be great, shame it only applies to bosch, siemens and neff :mad:

Thought the same!!!!
  • If you are buying a new appliance it would make sense to trade or exchange your current (better?) appliance with someone who needs a more energy efficient one and provide the even older and less energy efficient model for exchange.
  • warehouse wrote: »
    Purchased an electric cooker last weekend. Comet wanted £15 to remove my old cooker. What happened in a week?

Anyway, found the one we liked at Comet, purchased it elsewhere online afterwards and saved more than 20% anyway.

This sounds dodgy. As I understand it retailers are obliged to take back WEEE free of charge.

http://www.weeedirectory.com/WEEEArticles/ConsumersandtheWEEEDirective/tabid/61/Default.aspx

Ah well they lost a sale.
  • If they were serious about the environmental issue they would do it permanently, or at least for a good few months, time limiting it to Monday is a shameless (shameful?) cash-in by Comet, which really shouldn't surprise anyone considering the quality of the organisation.

God, I'm feeling particularly ascerbic today...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure