Sick pay

Options
How soon is it paid?
i was signed off work on friday and gave the note straight to my manager same day.
wages today are for the hours i worked the thursday night before i was signed off. and nothing else. our working week runs monday to sunday and paid following friday.
Im so mad i new it would get messed up somehow!

Comments

• cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    What does your contract say? Many companies do not pay sick pay.
  • mrsormrod
    Options
    my contract says
    To inform line manager on first day of absenc and follow company procedures as detailed in handbook
    Then does the usual blurb of failure to follow correct procedures may render disaplinary action.
    then gives a table of entitled to company sicknes pay
    less than 2 years - nil
    2-5 years - 4 weeks
    5-10 years 8 weeks
    10+ years- 12 weeks
    all per 52 week period. i have been there 5 years 10 months and never claimed sick pay the whole time i have been there
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get on the phone to them straight away Mrs Ormrod. As far as I'm aware the money should be paid as your ordinary wages are paid with a note on the payslip that it is sick pay instead of ordinary. Basically you should be receiving exactly the same (basic) in total.
  • mrsormrod
    Options
    Thanks just have to wait till a manager is in to deal with me....
    I knew this would happen after their blank expressions they gave me when i asked about it last week!
  • mrsormrod
    Options
    can some please advise me?
    have spoke to manager and been told that i wont get paid for first 3 days as these arew classed as waiting days is this correct? as there is nothing in my contract or hand book on this!
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    Options
    When claiming Statutory Sick Pay, the first three days are waiting days, and you don't get paid for them.

BUT if the company has a contractual sick pay scheme (as yours does) then you get paid according to the terms of the company's sick pay scheme. So unless that also states there are three waiting days (which would be very unusual) on your length of service you should continue getting paid as normal for the first 8 weeks, and your wages slip will simply note it as sick pay (as someone else has said).

Does your employer have a HR department? You really need to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • mrsormrod
    Options
    it says nothing about waiting days in contract and handbook.
    manager said he had an email saying i wouldnt get anything untill after 6th sept. then i would get 70 a week which i am assuming is ssp?
    no mention of company sick pay at all!
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to speak to someone other than your manager Mrs Ormrod. Your contract, like mine, specifies that there is company sick pay for those with over 2 years service. It doesn't mention waiting days. You should not be paid SSP, but full pay as per your terms and conditions.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this extra stress when you are ill.

Have your contract with you when you phone and quote from it. They can't just change their terms that have been given in the handbook without letting people know!
  • mrsormrod
    Options
    the unit i work in changed companies in octoberish time last year and i had a letter stating my contract would be covered by TUPE. Not signed a new contract or seen a new handbook since and i cant seem to get hold of anyone in HR.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    Options
    It sounds like the new employer doesn't have a contractual sick pay scheme, but pays SSP only. So that is how the pay-roll is set up, and why you have received the response you have.

BUT if your employment was transferred to this new employer under TUPE, your old T&C's are protected, including the sick pay scheme set out in your handbook. You won't get any sense from your manager about this, as they will be working from the normal company rules, and probably won't know anything at all about the benefits you have brought with you from your old company.

You need to raise this issue with HR. If you can't get hold off them on the phone, can you e-mail or fax the HR Manager?
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure