Would you pay a lot of money to volunteer?

Options
Hello, I am after some opinions on my situation - thanks in advance for looking!

I always worked on good jobs, got a good postgrad degree but didn't work in the field since completing my degree due to family reasons (child ill, then the second one came along). So basically have been out of profession for the past 3 years. I did some freelancing from home in another area to bring in money. I am dying to return back to "proper" work but realise that my position is not that strong in the job market due to this 3-year gap and lack of recent experience to support my degree.

Now, I found a volunteer opportunity in a very good organisation in the sector where I worked before and might potentially like to work in again. It's 2 days a week for two months, travel and lunch expenses paid.

My dilemma is that I have two small children with one at school. So in order for me to be able to take on this position I will need to pay for the little one's nursery and the eldest one's afterschool care. It will be around £450 a month.

Would you do it in my shoes? I do earn this much and often more from my freelancing to cover this (and hubby pays all main bills). But is it insane? Am I panicking about my employability for a good reason to justify such expense just for some work experience? Not to mention all arrangements of an hour's travel one way, pick-ups and drop-offs...

Would be grateful for an outsider's view!

Comments

• Proc
    Proc Posts: 860 Forumite
    Options
    Well potentially you could gain a career from this, right? Even worst case scenario, they don't offer you any kind of permanant fixture, you still have a highly reputable place that's relelvant to your work on your CV. You can't put a price on that.

Go for it, I say. Yes, it's an expense, yes it's a hassle. But if you don't try, and you're still unemployed in 12 months time, you'll always be thinking "what if..."
  • Fly_Baby
    Options
    Thanks Proc. They don't say in the advert that there is a possibility of a paid position at the end. But I imagine it will look good on CV.

What I am also considering is that maybe I should wait until my second child is at least at pre-school (1 year to go). That way she will have 15 hrs of childcare a week free and nursery bills will be more manageable. And once she is at school it will be total bliss in terms of finance - just afterschool club to think about.

But by then I will have been out of profession for 5 years and 32 years old. Will further waiting jinx my chances altogether?

I know noone knows that for sure but people do have opinions. :)
  • LeeSouthEast
    Options
    You'll kick yourself in the future if you don't. Do it. It may set you up for life :)
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, go for it.

At the same time, explore whether you can get any help with childcare costs, either from Tax Credits or from the place where you are volunteering.
  • Fly_Baby
    Options
    Yes, go for it.

At the same time, explore whether you can get any help with childcare costs, either from Tax Credits or from the place where you are volunteering.

Thanks! My husband earns too much for us to qualify for any tax credits - even if childcare costs outweigh MY salary.
  • Rockporkchop
    Rockporkchop Posts: 944 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2009 at 4:58PM
    Options
    It's definitely worth doing.

Just a thought - can your DH get childcare vouchers from work? If he starts getting them now at the full £243 per month he will soon have enough to pay for the two months' childcare. Getting the £900 in vouchers will save you approx £200, so something towards the cost.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Look at it as an investment and think of all the money you'll be able to aern in a couple of years if this is successful. Don't take the short term view.
  • Fly_Baby
    Options
    I am surprised, to be honest, that all of the posters are very enthusiastic about this opportunity. For some reason I was expecting to hear that nearly £1000 is a lot of money for just some work experience with no guaranteed employment. One person who I am sure will tell me just that is my husband - he doesn't believe in working for no money especially if one holds academic degrees, has career history etc. But then, he is not the one who had to take a career break because of the children...

Thank you very much for all the encouragement. I filled out the application form. :)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My own inclination is that you should go for it. The longer you are out of employment/work activity, you more rusty you will become and the more difficult it will be to make the transition back to work. Apart from anything else it will do you good psychologically and give you a sense of personal identity again apart from just being a "Mum".
  • LeeSouthEast
    Options
    Perhaps that's the difference between someone looking to save money, and a money saving expert. The experts know when spending might actually work out better in the long run ;)
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family