We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Credit card

I already have a student credit card that I got when I opened my student bank account, but I'm more interested in getting a credit card that I could benefit from, i.e. a card that gives you points for spending a certain amount.

I know that most of these cards usually require you to have a certain amount of "income" - can any one tell me whether student loans/grants, payments from parents, uni bursaries etc. can be classed as "income"?

Also, where can I find out what level of income is required for a particular card? I dont want to apply and get rejected, damaging my credit score in the process.

If anyone could give me any advice on this I would be really grateful.

Also, just to point out that I'm not planning on running up huge amounts of debt at uni by getting lots of credit cards, I'm just looking to see if theres any way I can benefit from a credit card that i would be paying off in full each month.

Thanks.
I enjoy money-saving and am slowly entering the world of online earnings - aiming to pay for Christmas 2015 from extra income earned in 2015.
So far: Bubblews £16.19 . Swagbucks £25, Neobux £1.29, Clixsense -.
Freebies/wins 2015: 2 x Convent Garden soup boosters, mini L'Oreal foundation, LG smartphone, mini Clinique face wash.

Comments

  • Those things wouldn't count as income no. The student loan, is obviously a loan and not a source of income.

    Whilst you don't have an income/are a student you're unlikely to get many cards as creditors are unlikely to want to take the risk of giving an unsecured loan to somebody who has no money coming in.

    The best cards, with the best rewards are likely to want you have to a big salary so won't be something you'll be able to get it.

    There are some cards you may be able to get, like I think Barclays do a student credit card...
  • Stubert wrote: »
    Those things wouldn't count as income no. The student loan, is obviously a loan and not a source of income.


    If only the NHS and similar organisations saw it that way! (Student loan counts as income when applying for help with health costs etc.)

    Sorry, that was completely off topic, but it does seem annoying that the student loan is seen as a loan when you wish it was seen as income, and vice versa!

    You probably wouldn't be able to get rewards cards as a student unfortunately.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Number 1225
    £365 in £365 Days 2013
    No Buying Toiletries 2013
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.