Change of electricity meter

Options
oldwiring
oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
My son has had a letter advising him that the meter has to be changed under terms of elec regs, He says he will give a reading a few days before the change to his suppier to be comfirmed on the change. He seems to be on the ball but van you give any other advice that I can pass on? Does anyone know how often meters have to be changed?

Comments

• clark1982
    clark1982 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    i think they need to be changed every 15 yrs. There's usally a small circular sticker on the front with a exp date. x
    The views expressed on this website, be they in text, pictures or sound, are my own personal views. Not those of my employer, its staff or colleagues.
  • Spark
    Spark Posts: 817 Forumite
    Options
    When I had my electricity meter changed, I was told by British Gas that by law they were required to change them every ten years.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    My new energy supplier wants £40 to change the meter from E7/daytime to normal day rate. Modern digital type tho, so no chance of getting it freebie.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Ken68 wrote:
    My new energy supplier wants £40 to change the meter from E7/daytime to normal day rate. Modern digital type tho, so no chance of getting it freebie.

Just tell them, not to bother changing the meters, you will continue to give them the two rates, but they can bill you as single rate.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BexTech wrote:
    Just tell them, not to bother changing the meters, you will continue to give them the two rates, but they can bill you as single rate.
    With the propensity of suppliers to prodce spheres in the air. is that realy a safe option?
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Yes Bex...Powergen accepted both readings at the same rate, but Equipower say no (don't want to upset them too soon), so thought to maximise E7 usage. Gotta make up £10 a year, not difficult.
    Modern meters, Oldwiring, change to summer and winter time automatically.
  • hst43029
    hst43029 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Old meters are changed under guidelines laid down by the electricity regulator and lifespan will depend on the make and model of meter. Generally the newer electronic meters are 10 or 15 year lifespan meters whilst the older mechanical ones are 15, 20, 25 or 30 year lifespan [Note: All card meters in Scottish Power and Manweb areas are currently exempt from the program]. It's almost impossible for you to tell the lifespan unless you work in the industry. All life expired meters are changed free of charge. If you want a meter that isn't life expired changing (such as a change of tariff) then a charge is levied at the discretion of the supplier.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    How can Card Meters be exempt. Surely if the regulator says that the useful life of electronic meters is 10 to 15 years then they can not be relied on to record properly after that time .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure