We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Confusing Info Re I. Support and OU

I have registered to do a short course (10 points) with the OU November. Also a Level one course 30th Jan (60 points). Hopefully health permitting I intend to try for a degree over five or six years. I am the dependent of my husband and we get the basic Income Support plus the disabled premium. I have read all sorts of different things regarding informing the DHS, and whether money will be docked etc. When I have done a college course there has been no problems, even when getting a grant from the Access fund.
I have done a search on the Forums but just found contradicting information. Does anyone have any up to date information regarding this situation? We are struggling on what we have to live on now, let alone if anything is docked!

Comments

  • There's absolutely no reason i can see why you should have your benefits docked by doing an OU course. Can you explain where you've got that idea from?
  • A mixture of older threads on this topic here on the Forums using the Search function. Also other web sites. The best I came up with was that because I wouldn't actually be given the money for the course fees I would be okay on those. But there could be an issue with money granted for studies etc. Like I said though, I find it strange as I had no problem when studying at college for a few hours a week and had money for books/travel from the Access Fund.
  • You don't really get enough extra to affect IS and it's only supposed to buy books etc. anyway.

    I've never known anyone to be in this position and I've not come across it on here before. I'm sure that if someone has, they'll be along to tell you about it.
  • I've done two level 1s with the OU (120) points, my IS was not affected at all. The course fee was paid and i also got the £250 study grant. I think you'll be OK. If you are worried just ring your local social security office and ask them. Good luck with your studies! x
    Winging life....
  • Thanks to both of you. One final question. Am I supposed to notify the I.S. office? I never did when doing the courses at college, either for the course themselves or for the Access Fund grant.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Capyboppy wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you. One final question. Am I supposed to notify the I.S. office? I never did when doing the courses at college, either for the course themselves or for the Access Fund grant.

    It's always a good idea to notify the office of anything like this, for your own peace of mind if nothing else.
  • True:-) Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.