PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New build house prices

Options
Does anyone know of any success stories where people have made an offer on a new build house? I'm curious as to how moveable the builder's price is. My current (new build) home had some offers for me as a first time buyer 3 years ago (deposit paid, carpets + cashback) but they wouldn't shift on the price at all.

We're looking to move again soon, and there are quite a few new builds I'm interested in. Has anyone had any luck getting the price down?
Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?

Comments

• terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    ;)everything is negotiable from price to incentives like carpets, turf for garden etc, remember new homes still selling strong but every developer alive is looking to pull in new sales especially during Jan period.
    Remember to work out the discounts, are the "FREE" carpets etc worth more than a cash discount, many carpet sales on at the moment.
    Show your interest and then you will find the sales negotiator rings you and once they start chasing you you know deals can be done.
    Good luck let us know how much you save.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    house prices are a significant expenditure. there is always scope for negotiation between two reasonable parties.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ;)everything is negotiable from price to incentives like carpets, turf for garden etc, remember new homes still selling strong but every developer alive is looking to pull in new sales especially  during Jan period.
    Remember to work out the discounts, are the "FREE" carpets etc worth more than a cash discount, many carpet sales on at the moment.
    Show your interest and then you will find the sales negotiator rings you and once they start chasing you you know deals can be done.
    Good luck let us know how much you save.

Many developers like to try to stick to their prices, but they will offer incentives instead of a reduction. Bear in mind that they can get building work done far more cheaply than you can. So, you may be able to negotiate a really good deal on extra building works.

A friend of mine had a really large extension built onto his house instead of a price reduction.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • John_M_Business
    Options
    Also, don't be dazzled by the 'New Flat' seduction.... new appliances, nice windows and fresh paint (without the smell... )

The questions are:
    - What is the area like?
    - What is the average price for a similar property in this area?
    - How well laid out is it?
    - How many square foot is it?
    - How well equipped is it (Whirlpool or Bosch? Laminate or Granite? Power Shower or dribble, Fitted wardrobes or space?)?
    - How 'finished' is it?

Developers always assume that people will pay a premium for 'new', but often choose expensive-looking CHEAP solutions. Also, the margin that they're making per flat is likely to be a lot higher than you think - so negotiate, even put in a derisory offer and say 'that's all that I can afford, but I like the place').

Most of all: watch out! For each trustworthy developer, there is another trying to get you in quick for good reason,
    CarQuake / Ergo Digital
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Time of year helps, as does the number of almost complete plots ready for sale or the last couple of plots in a development.

Housebuilding companies are often publically owned and therefore have to give results to the city and shareholders and meet targets. I think a lot of them have march 31 year ends, so if you can complete by then they may negotiate on price.

Good advice above though. The house is only worth what you (or someone else) is willing to pay. There is a small premium for new build because you are buying a house with new boiler, new paintwork, guarantee etc rather than a 'second hand' home with all its old heating, electrics, maintenance costs etc.

Good luck.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure