We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Just returned to UK and going back to Uni - desparately need help with benefit advice
Tuppenny
Posts: 6 Forumite
Hello all,
I have recently returned from being out of the country for 5 years (bar periodic holidays to visit family) to go to university where I will be studying for a MA in Linguistics.
My question is in relation to what possible benefits I may be able to receive.
I have my own property which is being let as I will be studying full time and won't be able to afford to live in it myself. It looks like I will be staying with a family member for the duration of the time I am home and they have enquired about how their council tax demand will be affected (previously receiving the 25% single occupancy discount).
I have been making voluntary class 2 NI contributions and from tax papers I have received I am on the normal tax code, although I have never indicated that I was out of the country. I haven't received any funds from the UK other than the rent payments and this I have declared on my yearly tax returns. However, having never received benefits before I have no idea where to start and am not sure how having been out of the country for so long affects me.
Any support would be hugely welcome,
Thank you
I have recently returned from being out of the country for 5 years (bar periodic holidays to visit family) to go to university where I will be studying for a MA in Linguistics.
My question is in relation to what possible benefits I may be able to receive.
I have my own property which is being let as I will be studying full time and won't be able to afford to live in it myself. It looks like I will be staying with a family member for the duration of the time I am home and they have enquired about how their council tax demand will be affected (previously receiving the 25% single occupancy discount).
I have been making voluntary class 2 NI contributions and from tax papers I have received I am on the normal tax code, although I have never indicated that I was out of the country. I haven't received any funds from the UK other than the rent payments and this I have declared on my yearly tax returns. However, having never received benefits before I have no idea where to start and am not sure how having been out of the country for so long affects me.
Any support would be hugely welcome,
Thank you
0
Comments
-
If you're studying full time you won't be able to claim any benefits but your relative will be able to keep the 25% discount. If part time, you can make a claim but any benefits will be means tested and the capital in your property/income from letting will be taken into account, so it's unlikely that you'll get anything on that basis. Your relative will lose the 25% discount as well.0
-
Thank you for the prompt reply. Could you also advise me how my relative goes about retaining their discount? Apologies for appearing rather daft but unfortunately having been away for so long has left me somewhat at a loss and I only returned yesterday so I haven't had any time to visit any council offices. Thanks0
-
you should be able to get a certificate from the university to give to the council to prove your student status. once you've registered, student services should be able to help - they will have dealt with this countless times before!:happyhear0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards