Stoozing is it worth it?

Options
Used to stooze a lot, had an off set mortgage, now paid off, so I stopped:j

Just been taking a look at the 0% for 9 months with no fee and my ING interest calculations.

Realistically the longest you would get the 0% is 8 months, ensuring no errors at either end.

Interest rate is cleared balance * 3.532% (ING basic rate tax payer net amount) divided by number of days in the year (365).

By my reckoning £1000 taken at 0% on the 1st January 2006 straight into an ING, would be worth £1023.89 on the 31st August 2006.

£4983, which is my average credit limit, would earn £119 for the 8 months.

Time wise I reckon an hour for application, at most, 10 minutes a month servicing the account for 8 months, is 2 hours 20 minutes. giving an hourly rate of £51 net. Mrs Macs figures work out at £71:j So if I did us both, not a lot more time, £286 in total.

OK we're 40% taxpayer so might end up paying more interest:eek:

I think I might have just talked myself into doing it, with a BT fee I wouldn't think it would be worth it.

Opinions on my calculations gratefully received.

Cheers

Al

Comments

• tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds about right. I worked out that £5K in a 5% savings account with 20% tax would net around £140 over 9 months.
    Set up a minimum payment direct debit so you don't have to do anything during the 8 months.
    Happy chappy
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote:
    Opinions on my calculations gratefully received.
    £4,983 x 4.41% / 365 x 243 x 0.6 = £117.04 (net of basic rate tax)

Don't forget also, that the stooz pot balance will diminish over the introductory period if the minimum payments are made from there. At 3%, this will mean the average stooz pot balance will only be 88% of the amount SBT'd. Your 'profit' will fall to £102.99 (net of basic rate tax) - and this excludes interest lost due to 3 day transit delays.

If you add in a 2% (max £50) BT fee, it looks pretty dire - and a 2% uncapped fee is a complete non-starter with a stooz pot savings account.

Here's a prediction...by the end of summer 2006, you'll only be able to make money stoozing with an totally uncompetitive offset mortgage...Fancy getting another mortgage Al?
  • Thefunkygibbons
    Thefunkygibbons Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    It depends how much money you can get

Once you get up to £30k or so then there is a very useful monthly amount

Personally I use my stooz profits to indulge my Dream Theater CD collecting habit

But it is getting harder
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport