We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
has anyone done an access course through a Scottish college?
alyth
Posts: 2,671 Forumite
just a quick question really - I started my access course through Perth College this week, and it's driving me to frustration! I have a clear path that I want to follow, and a goal at the end of it, but I've spent three days at the college and it's absolute hand-holding - together with all the other "core" subjects that you have to do. I appreciate why you do them, but I'm not entirely sure whether I've done the right thing.
One crucial point is that at Perth College you sit "NACS" (sorry, not sure if that is the right acroynim) and you don't actually have to sit the higher - if you do the coursework and the NACS then in theory you get a conditional offer from the uni you want to study at. I'm kind of thinking, why would you go through 9 months of studying and not sit the exam and find out what grade you get?!
I'm a bit frustrated, and would welcome anyone's input into the access courses - thanks.
One crucial point is that at Perth College you sit "NACS" (sorry, not sure if that is the right acroynim) and you don't actually have to sit the higher - if you do the coursework and the NACS then in theory you get a conditional offer from the uni you want to study at. I'm kind of thinking, why would you go through 9 months of studying and not sit the exam and find out what grade you get?!
I'm a bit frustrated, and would welcome anyone's input into the access courses - thanks.
0
Comments
-
Hi, i think you mean NABS? National bank of assessments? We had to do them in school when we done our highers.
Anyway i have just finished my HND at college, in Glasgow. And am about to start uni on Monday.
I am actually feeling the oposite, i came to expect the hand-holding from all the lecturers, and letting us hand things in late, giving it back for us to fix and pretending they had never seen a first copy of an essay when we handed in a fixed version etc.
I am now terrified about how i am going to cope at uni, as i am going straight into third year and will obvisouly have no one there to "hold my hand" as such, like i did in college.0 -
thank you little, NABS is exactly what I meant, I by the time I posted last night my brain was suffering from information overload! I guess I am different, I've done two courses through the OU so I'm used to deadlines, etc, I want to just get on with the course, not go through all the other rubbishy stuff!
You will be absolutely fine, you've got your HND, for which congratulations, think how scared you were when you started that course, are you going to uni in Glasgow? Just take it slowly, last week the day before I started at college I was up at 4am thinking I can't do this, I am 39 and this is my dream, to go to uni and get my degree, now I'm so cool about the whole thing - albeit frustrated at the college!0 -
I don't know anything about the Scottish side of things but you have to remember that Access course have to cater for a wide range of abilities and academic background. In my experience, many Access students have never studied beyond GCSE and the minority who have studied at a higher level find it very slow going at first.
You probably remember that I was surprised that your university wanted you to do an Access course when you'd already studied successfully with the OU; now you're there I think you can see why I thought it so unreasonable of them.
Unfortunately, if you want to do a popular course and that course insists on Access then you can only ask "how high?" when they want you to jump!0 -
Thanks ONW, the access course truly does aim for the lowest common denominator, on Friday we spent an hour being hand-held through completing a form! And I do think I've made a mistake, I should have applied directly to the uni on the basis of my OU qualifications, but from a personal perspective the course is good for me, I don't leave the house so it's good for me to get out more, already I've met some fantastic people, financially I don't have to work so this is kind of a fun year for me (!) but I really do wish I had asked more questions at the college interview regarding the content of the course.0
-
I done a SWAP course in Scotland and I completely understand about the hand-holding. I was very frustrated and couldn't wait to get it over with and crack on with Uni. Stick in there, it's worth it in the end. I'm now half way through my teaching degree and have to admit that SWAP was one of the best decisions of my life. Also, the NABS were an absolute doddle!Come ride with me, through the veins of history...
I'll show you how God falls asleep on the job.
~Matthew Bellamy.
0 -
I did an Access course and found it a breeze - it helped me get into the routine of uni - stick it out, it will be helpful for you in terms of essays. Don't give it up, use it to your advantage. Once the academic stuff kicks in, it will be great.0
-
eklynne, I am doing a SWAP access course as well - I'm glad you found the course useful and thanks for the advice about the NABS!
One thing I am really stressing about - I wanted to work so I didn't have to dip into my savings, even though I am getting a bursary. Somehow I have commited myself to 23 hours work a week, in the local shop. Tuesday I have lectures 9-3, working 4-9.30. Wednesday lectures right through 9-5. Thursday lectures 9-11 and 3-5. Friday lectures 9-1.
I work Saturday 1-9 and Sunday 12-4. Now I have nothing in my life apart from my dog, so I can devote absolutely any spare time to my studying, but I'm worried that I've taken on too much with the part time job and won't be able to devote as much time as I'd like to my studying - I took the job more as a means of getting out as I've hibernated in the house for a year, and I'm used to working full-time and studying through the OU for the last couple of years, I think I'm just having a bit of a wobble tonight - how much outside studying do you realistically have to spent?0 -
I've known full time degree students work full time hours on topl! If you've been doing an OU course and full time work, I don't think you should find your current schedule too hard, after all many students will be bringing up a family whilst doing Access and some of them work part time as well!
As you're finding things reasonably easy at the moment, why not wait and see how it goes; you can always drop some hours later if you find the going gets tougher.0 -
I've just started uni today - direct entry to third year.
And i have 2 part time jobs - together racking up 25hours a week.
I am just planning to see how the first month goes and if it is too much, i am going to leave one of my jobs. As i also get a bursary and a student loan, and have applied for a scolarship as well.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards