We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

To worry about student loans, or not?

2»

Comments

  • jillymit
    jillymit Posts: 572 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    As top up fees and the cost of going to higher education increase there will be masses of people in the same situation as you.
    I think student loans are fast becoming a kind of 'non debt' and widely regarded as the norm for young people. At least that seems to be the case where I work.
  • jillymit wrote: »
    As top up fees and the cost of going to higher education increase there will be masses of people in the same situation as you.
    I think student loans are fast becoming a kind of 'non debt' and widely regarded as the norm for young people. At least that seems to be the case where I work.

    Yes they seem to have been a convenient way for the government to hike income tax by a large magin and form an extra 9% tax banding.

    I really do feel sorry for todays students, while I only graduated 4 years ago and the debt situation was bad then, I still have a realistic chance of paying it off, although this will take around 7-8 years total even though I am earning what I would consider to be a decent salary. With top up fees this could take twice as long, I'll bet many people will be more than double their current age by the time they pay them off!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    bumpoowee wrote: »
    Yes they seem to have been a convenient way for the government to hike income tax by a large magin and form an extra 9% tax banding.

    !

    Pesonally, i think that a graduate tax would've been a much more sensible way to go. Unfortunately, raising taxes is a vote loser and they took the easy way out.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.