We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Experience of the 12+ anyone?

Hi,

I have had 2 sons pass the 11+ exam, but last year my 3rd son failed the 11+. However, his teacher and the staff at the Grammar involved have encouraged him to sit the 12+ in a few months time. He failed by more than 2 marks, which is the limit they set for appeal, so next time I'd like him to be able to comfortably pass to be sure he's up to the grade. He passed 1 paper, but was short of marks in the 2nd one.

I am presuming the 12+ is a different exam, but having had a look online for practice papers, only the 11+ is coming up (often as 11-12+), and then there's a 13+ set, but that is effectively for an intake for Year 9, so plenty more education to have been experienced prior to that.

I already have some 11+ test papers, so should I just use these to have for practice in the months to come?

My main reason for asking is that I want to be sure that he is experiencing the standard that he is going to be expected to reach, rather than carrying on with something that he originally sat aged 10 years old.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home

Comments

  • Apologies if this suggestion is a non starter but could you afford a couple of sessions with a tutor who has experience of preparing students for the exam? As he's so close to the required grades, I wouldn't think that this would be a long winded process but it could help him polish things up a bit and understand what's needed.

    Off the top of my head, I think you might need to look at what work he's covered since taking the 11+ because I would assume that this would be something on which he would be tested a year later.

    Good luck.
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    As his grammar school have suggested that he takes this exam, can they not suggest any ways to help him pass?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.