We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Financial help for a mature student

I am looking at going back to college to get some a-levels. I am 20 years old. I have been supporting myself since I was 16. I wish to do three A-levels at one time so that i can go to university and correct the mistakes I made when I was younger.

However, I can not afford the course fee's as I was recently made unemployed, and due to my age I am classed as a "mature student". Is there any financial support I am entitled to?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

  • I'm sorry, I thought I had explained. Must not have made it clear. I am living on my own. I need to know whether there is a way to get financial help that would actually make a difference. £30 a week is in no way enough to live off. That wouldn't even cover the cost of materials for the course, let alone the price of the actual courses.

    I am in need of help, support and advice as to how I could get help with the actual course fee's.

    Thanks
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Then not that I know of.
  • If you are on JSA the collage you do the A levels with may have concessions. Your best speaking to their financial advice team.
  • You might want to consider alternatives to A levels. Talk to the admissions department for the university and course you wish to finally attend, and see if there's any access courses or perhaps a foundation year which would qualify you for entry. For example, I'm about to start a science foundation which is a one year course and on completion I will be admitted to study BSc in Chemistry. I will qualify for full student loan/grant for the year.

    Alternatively, you could consider some OU courses - with your income you would qualify for the course fees paid, and you could even get another job to help on the financial front. You could either use the OU course to grant you admission to a regular university, or continue with them for the full degree.
  • carolan78 wrote: »
    If you are on JSA the collage you do the A levels with may have concessions. Your best speaking to their financial advice team.

    Unfortunately, you can't do a full time course and claim JSA.
  • I'm sorry, I thought I had explained. Must not have made it clear. I am living on my own. I need to know whether there is a way to get financial help that would actually make a difference. £30 a week is in no way enough to live off. That wouldn't even cover the cost of materials for the course, let alone the price of the actual courses.

    I am in need of help, support and advice as to how I could get help with the actual course fee's.

    Thanks

    Don't worry about the fees; as this is your first level 3 course you won't have to pay anything. You need to either work full time and study part time or vice versa. If you choose the second option, the ALG will top up your part time wage.

    As Willowcat suggested, look at Access courses or the OU (not necessarily the whole degree but a unit or 2 as an entry qualification); A levels aren't a particularly appropriate option for mature students.
  • Wiggynut
    Wiggynut Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    500 Posts
    I went to Uni with only 4 o'levels!
    I have friends who only had some o levels and did an access course who then went onto to do a degree!
    I think my friend got a bursary of some type so she didn't have to pay for the course itself - it's a few years ago but I do think there is some funding for mature students (ie: independent like you) - you could ring up learndirect as they give out advice like this - I find ringing them easier than calling in... I could never get an actual appointment with a person but you should try it in your area and see.

    I would go for an access or OU courses myself and not bother with A levels - plus depending on what course you want to do then you might be accepted if you have worked in your chosen area etc. (do you have any qualifications, ie: GCSE's?)
    I'm doing a Digital Media Design BA and I've worked with Digital Media (low level) for years which is what got me on my course.

    get some advice from learn direct - find out more information - don't give up ;)
    Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
    now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.