Is there a website for what foods you can take on planes in EU?

Options
Can anyone direct me to a website that explains what foods you can take on the plane within the EU.

I am travelling to Greece and don't want to get on the wrong side of the authorities.

I plan to take enough Cows milk with me to be enough for my toddler's night time milk for our 10 day holiday.

Thanks

Comments

• Alfie_E
    Alfie_E Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    One of the many ideas of the EU is that there aren’t any restrictions like that. See What are the rules on bringing back food from an EU country? in the FAQ: Meat, food and plants, from HM Revenue & Customs. As this is laid down by the EU, just the same applies when we enter another EU country.

The question is what the airline is prepared to carry. The exact details are set out in an airline’s Conditions of Carriage, although they’re all pretty similar. You can look at the easyJet Conditions of Carriage, which are expanded on in their Carrier’s Regulations. It’s basically a case of don’t put perishable items in the baggage you check in, to go into the hold. As I assume it’s UHT milk, I don’t see a problem with that. I guess, if there’s not too much of it, you could take it as hand baggage. Even fresh milk could be taken as hand baggage, although I wouldn’t be confident in keeping it cold for long enough.

Is there any reason why you don’t want to use Greek milk? Unless you have a report highlighting problems with Greek milk, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be just as good as that in the UK.
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    Alfie_E wrote:
    Is there any reason why you don’t want to use Greek milk? Unless you have a report highlighting problems with Greek milk, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be just as good as that in the UK.

I wanted to keep him with the milk he has all the time, as even the supermarket cows milk tastes different to the Rachels Organic milk he drinks. I'm indulging him I know, but I really want him to keep drinking his full milk intake during the 10 days, as we have bone disease in the family and would sooner him not go off milk during the 10 days we are out there.

Luckily Rachels milk lasts 10 days, so I am getting a quota from my milkman the day before and packing it in a cool bag with plenty of ice blocks. I have done the same thing travelling to Cornwall, and we will be adding a few hours to the time that journey takes us, so hopefully it will stay fresh during this time. If it goes off, he will either have to like what is out there, or go without, although my preferred option is for him to have what he is used to.

I had wondered if countries had different entry requirements on food, even though we are in the EU, so it is good to be reassured they don't.

Thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport