We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Natwest made me open a credit card
rach_89
Posts: 4 Newbie
Sorry if this is on the wrong forum!
I recently opened a student account with Natwest, and went to see the student adviser. He told me about the package, which included a credit card. I said I didn't want one, but he told me I couldn't open a student account if I didn't get it, and I didn't have to use it. He told me a story about how last year students kept on asking for credit cards, so now they are giving every person who wants a student account one. Having heard such great things about Natwest, I accepted. I have since phoned customer services about another matter, and they said that it isn't true you need to get a credit card to have a student account.
So I feel pretty stupid now as this is the second credit card I've opened without actually wanting one! I cancelled the other one- should I cancel this one too or will it look bad on my credit rating?
Also, do you think I should complain to Natwest, as the man lied to me. Surely this is irresponsible, making students have credit cards?
I recently opened a student account with Natwest, and went to see the student adviser. He told me about the package, which included a credit card. I said I didn't want one, but he told me I couldn't open a student account if I didn't get it, and I didn't have to use it. He told me a story about how last year students kept on asking for credit cards, so now they are giving every person who wants a student account one. Having heard such great things about Natwest, I accepted. I have since phoned customer services about another matter, and they said that it isn't true you need to get a credit card to have a student account.
So I feel pretty stupid now as this is the second credit card I've opened without actually wanting one! I cancelled the other one- should I cancel this one too or will it look bad on my credit rating?
Also, do you think I should complain to Natwest, as the man lied to me. Surely this is irresponsible, making students have credit cards?
0
Comments
-
You won't get anywhere unless you have proof he said it, but complain all you like.
If you don't need a CC then cancel it.
But if its the second time, maybe you should learn to say no a bit more? They are salesman, the idea is they sell you more stuff so they can make a profit from you. :cool:0 -
in your situation i'd just cut it up and let it lapse at the end of the term, i did with my uni credit card.
As for your complaint, i'm not sure i would be too bothered persuing it0 -
put it down to experience, cancel the card if you're not going to use it,
I would still complain about the salesman but I wouldn't pursue it, just send a letter to the branch manager maybe just so it is noted.Yes Your Dukeiness
0 -
Thanks a lot for the advice. I might say something next time I'm in there, but you're right I won't have any proof.
*Note to self: be more assertive*0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards