Engagement Rings (merged)

Comments

• I think the thing to remember is that this is a ring that should be worn everyday for the rest of her life.
    Don't be tempted into getting a fat diamond especially if the finger it will be going on is small, it'll just look silly and she'll be self-concious about it.

I chose the ring for my fiance, got the size right and everything, spent 2/3 of my monthly salary but she loves and is glad i didn't spend any more.

Even more glad I didn't propose without the ring.

Good luck ;)
    Ta
  • bbhcmike, as awoman who loves jewellery you have to know the woman to know whether she would cope with an argos ring or want something a "little" different.
    If anyone else is reading this thread ,and thinking of buying a ring, my tip would be to combine a holiday/engagement trip to dubai and get the ring there.The money saved would more than pay for the holiday.I bought a dress ring last year there and its valued at more than 3 times what i paid for it. Haggle like mad! :)
    Am getting the tennis bracelet valued soon that i bought last month with all the savings i made through this site i could up my spending. A diamond is an investment! ;)
  • read these posts with interest, as my bf and I have just recently got engaged!

I know the general rule is about a month's salary, but a month's salary for my bf is a week's salary for me!!! :-/

anyway, we agreed a price range beforehand and went with that in mind - and stuck to it!
    I chose the ring and it seemed that the smaller the diamond size the better it actually looked. As MmmmDonuts mentioned, on a smaller finger (like mine!) some of the stones just look really tacky and bling-like!

It is certainly not about the cost.
    Bank Charges Claimed: 180

Debenhams card: 600 now paid
    Littlewoods: 100 now paid
  • Ally
    Ally Posts: 5,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ohhhh, I like the idea about a combined holiday and ring purchasing ecperience  ;D

Then it would be extra special - when the setting has been thought out too.  How is it going anyway Bbhcmike??  Have you got it yet??

Did come across a site a while back, but have not had any experience with them, may be worth a look.  You can tell you lovely lady that it was mentioned on MSE as bargainous, and just browse with her (not mentioning the word 'engagement' of course) and see what she thinks is nice.
    http://www.jewellerycatalogue.co.uk/

ps.  I my fella pops along by the odd chance ...........

I want a platinum ring with a Flawless diamond (will settle for a VVS1) Solitaire Emerald cut (will settle for a princess cut - as I am one ;D) Carat don't matter - as long as it can be carried around without causing any strain (well, not too much strain, but a little will be nice)  ;D ;D :P

edit: I forgot to add the link ::)
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!
    :j :rotfl: :j
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Thanks for the link Ally. I've already got my engagment ring but that site does wedding rings too. :)
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite

Don't be tempted into getting a fat diamond

I'm with Marilyn on this one....'diamonds are a girls best friend'...the bigger the better...but then I've always bought me own :-X :-/ :-X
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• An engagement ring is an investment as long as it is 18ct gold or above.
    As the happy years go by the ring will increase in value and either leave you with a nest egg or a beautiful piece to pass to your children.

My husband bought me a beautiful trilogy for aprox £600, but it's increasing in value every year.

Not only that but I look at it with sheer adoration every day - that's probably because I dropped a few hints when I saw and fell in love with it!! (rather like my husband)
    Watch out people. You don't know what lurks around the corner for you![/SIZE]
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ;D
  • SPL
    SPL Posts: 268 Forumite
    Spent £850 on the (now) wifey's. She did kind of point it out once when we walked past the jewellers...always handy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure