What clothes to buy for interview

Options
So i have my first ever professional intervew i am expecting it to go very badly but what the heck.

So i thought white shirt, black trousers, tie and black shoes - No suit.

Was having a look at Tesco clothes and they do a white pinstripe shirt £6 or should it be plain white. What do you think?

http://www.clothingattesco.com/mens/work3.html

Can anyone give me some links for ultra cheap clothes of the above items.
Would be very helpful if you could.!

Comments

• Jomo
    Jomo Posts: 8,253 Forumite
    Options
    You are on the right lines, as long as you look smart in a business kind of way (people can look smart in jeans!)
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    White or white pinstripe are both ok as long as they dont clash with anything else you're wearing. Tesco do pretty cheap clothes, as do Asda/Primark/Peacocks/QS. If you want more hard wearing ones for when you've got a job where you need to be smart, my sis (who works for an insurance company and is basically in a suit every day) recommends either Debenhams, New Look (for you, men's section, but I own a few of the shirts and they fit nicely) or Burtons.
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Re the choice of outfit, some whites are brighter than others, if that makes sense, choose one that looks fresh and not "grubby" (compare them close up to see the differences). For this reason, pin stipes with blues tend to look fresher for longer.

Try to get two shirts and then you have one as a standby - just in case you have a mishap whilst getting ready (cut yourself shaving, coffee down your front, dog jumping up, baby dribble etc)

Check all buttons to make sure they're secure - sometimes they are poorly sewn on.

Iron it - I know it sounds daft but I've had people turn up in shirts that still have the creases from where they've been folded around the card they came in.

Black or dark grey trousers will look smart - and a plain belt will help look more formal.

Don't be afraid to have a bit of colour in the tie - it will show character - but don't go for one that needs sunglasses:p.

For the interview:

Plan the journey (maybe do a trial run around the right time of day to make sure that you know the timings etc).

If you need to take paperwork then use a folio or case to carry them in - if you haven't the funds at the moment to get one then a dark plastic wallet from a pound shop or a plain A4 envelope will look better than a carrier bag.

Finally, you said "i am expecting it to go very badly but what the heck" remember this....

They liked your application enough to invite you to interview so you are more than half way there - these days getting an interview can be very difficult indeed, so be very pleased with this.

You have something that interests them and they want to know more - be positive and go for it.

GOOD LUCK

Tiddly
    :hello:
  • Jomo
    Jomo Posts: 8,253 Forumite
    Options
    and deep breaths!!!
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    First of all, well done getting the interview!

I actually wouldn't go with the white shirt but with a different colour - maybe something like a pale blue. The reasoning for this is that when the panel comes to discuss everyone they've interviewed, if they are able to go 'the guy with the blue shirt' then they're more likely to remember who you are. Although I suppose you could get round that with the tie - maybe if you get the pinstripe shirt then get/wear a tie in a matching colour?

Other than that, your outfit sounds fine.

Best of luck!
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • juliescot
    juliescot Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose only you will know if a jacket and or tie are needed or not. I prefer to see a jacket with no tie, but that may not be appropriate.
    White shirt and black trousers can possibly make you look like an off-duty policeman (no offence to them)

I would go for a coloured shirt that suits your/skin tone/hair colour/eyes
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You definitely don't want a black tie with white shirt and black trousers, you will look as if you are going to a funeral!

I agree with going for a coloured shirt, pale, with co-ordinating tie.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • TEDDYRUKSPIN
    Options
    Smart.

If you are male: - a suit which is clean and does not smell like it came out of the last wedding do etc. A shirt which is clean. Any colour as long as it is not flashy - like bright green. This still depends on the company you are going to as well.

Girls - smart and not slutty. But that is up to you as well.
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • onlyforboards_2
    Options
    Smart.

If you are male: - a suit which is clean and does not smell like it came out of the last wedding do etc. A shirt which is clean. Any colour as long as it is not flashy - like bright green. This still depends on the company you are going to as well.

Girls - smart and not slutty. But that is up to you as well.

Lol! There's nice. A detailed description for the men and a "not slutty" for the girls.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    111222 wrote: »
    So i have my first ever professional intervew i am expecting it to go very badly but what the heck.

So i thought white shirt, black trousers, tie and black shoes - No suit.

Was having a look at Tesco clothes and they do a white pinstripe shirt £6 or should it be plain white. What do you think?

http://www.clothingattesco.com/mens/work3.html

Can anyone give me some links for ultra cheap clothes of the above items.
    Would be very helpful if you could.!

Did you forget to mention a jacket? You can't go for an interview in shirtsleeves!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure