can my employer sack me?

Options
hi, i had an acciedent in work, as a result i have broken my foot and im in plaster, even though it was their fault, they wont pay me full pay, so i am on ssp, and losing over £800 a month. i have told them i intend to put a claim in for my injury. all they said was " you do wot you got to do"
So i`m asking has this happened to anyone else? cheers :beer:

Comments

• Lycaeus
    Options
    No they dont have to pay you in full - its the same as normal sick leave
  • juliescot
    juliescot Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    twilite1 wrote: »
    hi, i had an acciedent in work, as a result i have broken my foot and im in plaster, even though it was their fault, they wont pay me full pay, so i am on ssp, and losing over £800 a month. i have told them i intend to put a claim in for my injury. all they said was " you do wot you got to do"
    So i`m asking has this happened to anyone else? cheers :beer:

Did they carry out a proper investigation?

What is their policy on paying staff who are off work through injury?
  • Jomo
    Jomo Posts: 8,253 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure but there is a guy in our office who did the same thing and he comes in with crutches.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you looked at your contract about sick pay.

If they paid you company sick pay and you were awarded compensation for your injury they would then probably claim it back from you out of that compensation - so i wouldntbe too bothered about it, honestly.

I would go ahead with a claim though. they should and presumably do have insurance to cover things like this.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Lycaeus wrote: »

I cannot think of a company that does not pay full wages when you are injured on their property whilst at work.

Also, the company says they dont care as their insurance will cover it when the claim comes up.
  • wynnvegas
    wynnvegas Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Definitely get the claim in - particularly if you're getting that kind of negative attitude from your employer. Make sure you have a decent lawyer who will not take any cut from what you win. If negligence is proven against your employer, their insurance should cover not only a payout to you but also any applicable legal fees.

To answer your original question, it is extremely unlikely (albeit knowing details of the accident would be helpful) that your employer would or could dismiss you.
    Mortgage Free: 28/10/2010
    Time / Interest Saved: 18.5 years / £61,866.50
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    woody01 wrote: »
    I cannot think of a company that does not pay full wages when you are injured on their property whilst at work.

Also, the company says they dont care as their insurance will cover it when the claim comes up.

I can, including many multinationals.

The NHS only pay the usual OSP entitlement, for any time taken over that amount the employee will receive SSP (or equivalent) only.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Jomo
    Jomo Posts: 8,253 Forumite
    Options
    Can you explain what happened in more detail, especially how it was your employer's fault?

It is quite hard to advise otherwise.
  • satyc
    satyc Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    If you broke your foot at work, make sure that they(the company) have reported the accident to the HSE, via RIDDOR. This will help you later on for your claim, as the HSE should investigate. I know that this might sound stupid but did you fill out the accident book?
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Lycaeus wrote: »
    But?

BUT if they were negligent, they may be liable to compensate for loss of wages.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure