Free Eye Test at Boots

Options

Comments

• GTG
    GTG Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My friend was too embarrased to ask her for the prescription knowing that he had no intention of using the optician for his spectacles.

He told me that he thought she would have handed it over if he had had the bottle to ask for it.
  • quidsinquentin
    quidsinquentin Posts: 42,693 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    Splendid! - I was after one of these!!

Cheers - no thanks button available.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • Bella_b
    Bella_b Posts: 859 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about D&A. Are they any good? Do they actually know what they are doing? I am a bit skeptical about Opticians because one of my friends used to work in one, and he told me that a lot of his collegues weren't sure what they were doing! I was shocked. I keep getting reminders from my optician (that is really expensive) telling me I am well overdue to get my eyes checked. I need to get them checked again because I need to see if I can continue to use same prescription for contact lenses. If I can, I will order online from Tesco instead of optician and save about £50! :D
  • chickenlady_3
    chickenlady_3 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Has anybody else had any problems getting onto the Health Club section of the Boots site? it is coming up as gobbledegook! Will try again later...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bella_b wrote:
    Thanks for the tip about D&A. Are they any good? Do they actually know what they are doing?
    They always seem to when we go there. DH has astigmatism and long sight, his glasses appear to have really weird lenses in! I just need 'old age' glasses, and they've been fine about the fact that I just buy several cheap pairs because then I can leave a pair in all the places I might want one. With my boys they've been fine, even tested for colour blindness at one point when we weren't sure if one of them had full colour vision. They say one of my boys will need glasses before he can drive, I suspect he's long-sighted like his dad, but DS said he'd rather wait until then because he thinks he can see as much as he wants to! :rotfl:

They test for glaucoma, they test for field of vision as you get older, and they were very good with me when I was getting headaches and the red line kept disappearing during the sight test!

I suppose it might vary from one branch to another, but I've used two D&A branches without any complaints. Oh, and they ALWAYS give us our prescriptions, even when we don't need glasses!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • bellybabe_2
    bellybabe_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner to the person asking about the free eye tests in Scotland - it just happens automatically. You just book your test and turn up.

I'm wary of Dollond and Aitchison - they once told me lenses costing less than about £240 simply weren't available for my prescription. I said that was nonsense, and I would like the next price down, please. She refused to give me a lower quote so I demanded my prescription and left.

Mind you, I'm now wary of all big chains; this week I went to my local independent optician, and chose the same brand of frames as I chose last time at Optical Express or somewhere and these ones are costing almost half the price - from £120 two and a half years ago to £65 now, and my lenses are costing less and are better!
  • miss_angie1
    miss_angie1 Posts: 457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I received my free eye test voucher today. Took a month but it definitely arrives eventually.
    My mantra is "Never pay full price!" ;)
  • Mad_Dog_2
    Mad_Dog_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I have just received my Boots Health Pack but theere was no voucher for a free eye test.
  • bellybabe_2
    bellybabe_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    If you have pretty bad eyesight, you can also get free tests - i was told a few years ago by Boots that I qualified for free tests as my eyesight is worse than -10. So if any of you are really short sighted, that also gets you free tests - but I've only ever been told that once, so it's worth asking, as they don't seem to like to tell you.
  • scanner_2
    scanner_2 Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    please can you inform me how long it takes the free pack to arrive. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts