MSE News: Supermarket delays fuel duty price hike

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE news story:

"Petrol and diesel prices are set to leap by 2p per litre today as the Government's fuel duty increase comes into force.

Yet supermarket Morrisons says it will delay the hike at its pumps for just under a week ..."

Comments

• wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    2p is more of a shuffle than a leap in my opinion. Still... as rise is a rise.
  • Buying supermarket diesel, especially Sainsbury's City Diesel is false economy due to it being the cheapest and nastiest there can be had from any refinery, with virtually no 'engine saving' additives in it. I once filled up with it (because I was close and it was 6p/litre cheaper) and suffered a drop of 8 mpg over my usual 52mpg. That made the effective price £1.32 instead of £1.06 they were selling it at compared to Shell. Someone should do some research into which is the 'best' diesel for modern common rail High Pressure engines. One thing it won't be is supermarket diesel. I am also told that their petrol is the lowest RON available 'reinforced' by butane.
  • Whilst I admire the efforts of the national supermarkets to hold back on the duty for as long as possible I find it a shame that you have to spend £40/£50 first to qualify.
    I appreciate they cannot do it for next to nothing... but in the "current climate" I am sure there are many people who cannot afford to spend £5 a week on their food bills, let alone £50?
  • wizk1
    The supermarkets are hardly doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. They are businesses after all.
  • I too would like to see a "fair" comparison between the supermarket fuels and the "best" fuels like Shell and Total And B.P.
    Note to Martin. can you fix it?
  • They're not delaying anything. They're simply dropping their prices for a week. They're still paying the duty.
  • Morrisons are doing 5p a litre off fuel with a £40 spend.
  • wizk1
    I find Morrisons supermarkets rather expensive to begin with, so their promotion is a bit of a false economy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure