Help with choosing bridesmaid shoes to go with chocolate brown dress!

Options
Help!

I'm bridesmaid for my sister in about three weeks and I'm deliberating over what shoes to get. I'm not that much of a shoe person (although they are growing on me!) and I'm on a very tight budget - sis has bought the dress and I'm buying the shoes and have pretty much free rein.

The dress is a just-past-the-knee chocolate brown dress with super-thin straps and big fabric-y brown flowers all over - I can't find a link, it was from Debenhams but she got the bridesmaid dress on sale and can't find them on there any more.

I think something like this would be a potential as the bit on the front is like the flowers on my dress - thing is my back hates me wearing heels so was thinking of going for a ballet pump in chocolate brown but then worried that wouldn't look like I'd made enough effort iyswim?

I've only looked at brown shoes as I don't know if any other colour would go?

Heeeeelp!
Dealing with my debts!
Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
Now @ 703.63

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    How about a cream shoe with kitten heels (they won't be too high), or you could go for a brown sandal. Black would also go with chocolate brown - I have a chocolate brown trouser suit and wear black shoes with it and it looks great.

Really you want a shoe that you can wear more than once - so I would say kitten heels (these are very low but not flat so will give you a teensy bit of height) in either brown or black - mules or shoes.

I also hate wearing heels because I have a dodgy back but I find that its standing for ages that makes me stiffen up, if I am moving about I am ok although if I am moving about but still have lots of standing around then I will have to sit down.
  • joolsybools
    joolsybools Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Options
    Are you the only bridesmaid? If so talk to your sis, if not alk to the others and agree on a colour. If you have a shortish dress I would say you need a bit of a heal, maybe brown or gold?
  • emlou2009
    emlou2009 Posts: 4,016 Forumite
    Options
    if you have a big new look near you i'd say try there, they have lots of affordable shoes, both flat and heels! what if you were to wear heels for the ceremony and pictures and put on something more comfy after?
    Mummy to
    DS (born March 2009)

DD (born January 2012)
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it were me I'd get some strappy gold heeled sandals, something I could wear again.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • joolesw1972
    Options
    Are u having flowers? Or a wrap? If they're cream or gold u could pick out that colour in your shoes. Have you tried wedges, I find these better for my back, but for our day I'll be having crocs or fitflops to change in to when my shoes get uncomfy! Also try eBay for bridesmaid shoes as they're often the kind of thing only worn once.
    "Normal is not something to aspire to - it is something to get away from" - Jodie Foster
  • Tigerlilley1980
    Options
    How about silver? I got my bridesmaid shoes from New look, they are silver sequin!

When I was in New look there were loads of nice shoes, all colours and all heel heights. How about wearing heels for the ceremony, but later on wearing some pumps. You can get a pump for about £7 which roll up out of the way and then you can wear them.

I agree with the comment about speaking to other bridesmaids first and agreeing on a colour if there are more than one of you! Definitely get something you can wear again aswell!

Tiger xx
    Married the most amazing man 05/12/09 and it was the best day ever, I'm a Mrs, he he!!
    :j
    Wins 2009: Peroni Alessi bowl woohoo, 1 in 10 wins DVD from Maltesers, Avon lippy!!!
    Freebies-Bold Gel, Coffee
    Pinecone Research - £9
    Mystery Shopping - £15
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    I have a choclate brown dress and I have worn my old rose pink bridesmaid shoes with it....Light pink and brown go well, good contrast...
  • Jo_R_2
    Jo_R_2 Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    Options
    There's four bridesmaids and only one I know has got her shoes and they are brown.

I feel like all I've done this last two days is look at shoes!

Thinking either these or these - I like the first ones best but the second ones look more practical - but if being honest I never wear heels anyway so it's very unlikely I'd ever wear them again!

Having said that if I could find some brown 40s style heels that look dressy enough I'd happily buy them and wear them again but not really seen anything like that!

Edited to add: gold is off-limits, silver is good though!
    Dealing with my debts!
    Now @ 703.63
  • emlou2009
    emlou2009 Posts: 4,016 Forumite
    Options
    if silver is good, try peacocks, they had some lovely silver satin shoes in today! i thought of you when i saw them! i'm not a stalker, honest :rotfl:
    Mummy to
    DS (born March 2009)

DD (born January 2012)
  • Jo_R_2
    Jo_R_2 Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl:ROFL all help is very much appreciated - feel free!
    Dealing with my debts!
    Now @ 703.63
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business