PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

"Forgotten" Charge on LR in HIP

Options
Hi all, I hope this question makes sense!

Back in 2004 I took out a £7000 loan with Black Horse Finance for home improvements. At the time I just signed the paperwork and took the money, did my improvements and thought nothing of it.

However, now I am in the process of selling my property, I have just recieved the completed HIP where I have noticed a charge with HMLR made by Black Horse in 2004. Checking the Black Horse paperwork, I now realise that the loan was secured against the property although I don't really remember asking for a "secured" loan.

So really, my question is this.... when I sell, am I obliged to pay off the outstanding monies to Black Horse (I am not re-buying and therefore cannot switch to charge to my next property).

When I sell and have paid off the mortgage, along with other related fees, i will not have enough (about £5k not enough) to pay it off, so what happens? Can i try and switch it to an unsecured loan? Will they force me to pay it off?

Thank you all in advance for your answers.

Gareth

Comments

• Gareth78
    Gareth78 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Bump ;-) ;-)
  • As I understand it, if Black Horse hold a second charge on your property you cannot sell without either paying the loan off or getting Black Horse to agree to convert it into an unsecured loan. I think your best bet is to talk to them about this to see if they would agree to you selling.

Can you take out a personal loan for £5k? This would allow you to sell and clear all the monies owed.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surely there was a payment plan with Black Horse? Have you been paying them nothing? If so, you may be in for a shock when you see the outstanding balance as interest will have been added.

V confused ....:confused:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Gareth78
    Gareth78 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies....

In reply to Josephine, I don't think I would be able to take out a £5k personal loan, I will therefore talk to them about selling and converting it to a personnal loan.

In reply to DFC, i have been paying £147 a month for 5 years, the outstanding balance is just over £7k.

My property is on the market for £130k. Mortgage + fees will be £128k leaving me just £2k. Therefore £5k short of being able to pay off the secured loan.

Hope that helps and thank you once again for your replies.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's unlikely you will be able to sell unless you find a way to pay off the secured loan.
    poppy10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport