Total Security virus on laptop, help :(

in Techie Stuff
10 replies 755 views
Carrera74Carrera74 Forumite
790 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
Forumite
My daughter has got what I believe is a rogue anti virus problem on her laptop. I have tried to open the internet so that I can down load the up to date malware but am unable to. I have tried to open my Norton security on the laptop with my CD but it won't load any CD's. Is there anything I can do to try to save her laptop? We've been meaning to put some sort of protection on this but have overlooked it. Any help would be most appreciated.

Replies

• Any advise would be a great help as I have the same problem on my PC
  • Carrera74Carrera74 Forumite
    790 Posts
    Forumite
    I've managed to open the laptop under 'Administrator' and have downloaded Malwarebytes onto a CD and it's letting me run it - so far!! 7 infected files within 2 mins :(
  • espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Simply Google!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Did try this espresso last week but it just looked like a load of gobblydigook to me and left me no wiser !
    I think I need some simpler instructions !
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Ambassador
    49.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ambassador
    this should do it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

follow with Malwarebytes
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I know it's a bit late for this now, but I stumbled across a webpage that started to load this fake anti virus and it wouldn't close - but my browser did! I escaped with no problems.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
    790 Posts
    Forumite
    I was unable to load the spyware on safe mode too so ended up rebooting the whole system. I hope I don't regret it. The virus has gone though - just dread to think what else I may have lost as it's back to factory settings. Eek!!
  • edited 1 September 2009 at 10:39AM
    espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 September 2009 at 10:39AM
    Carrera74 wrote: »
    I was unable to load the spyware on safe mode too so ended up rebooting the whole system. I hope I don't regret it. The virus has gone though - just dread to think what else I may have lost as it's back to factory settings. Eek!!

That was unnecessary!

Carrera74 wrote:
    We've been meaning to put some sort of protection on this but have overlooked it.

So is it protected now?
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
    790 Posts
    Forumite
    I'm in the process of putting the protection on the laptop and updating what we had on the PC. I can't believe we have got away with having nothing on the laptop for as long as we did. I certainly won't risk it again!!
  • edited 5 September 2009 at 9:42AM
    DentalPhobicDentalPhobic Forumite
    20 Posts
    edited 5 September 2009 at 9:42AM
    This Total Security is an absolute b***. Out of nowhere it seemed, I noticed the fake Windows security shield alert beside my PC's clock, then suddenly had message on my desktop - very amateruish, wrongly spelled - warning me to pay up for Total Security. The virus does not allow you to open any files, or download malware. I managed to contain it order to download and run a malaware checker, by following instructions I found on Yahoo Answers on my laptop.

For any one else that is struggling with this virus, here is what worked for me. Re boot your computer, and repeatedly press CTRL ALT DELETE in order to get Windows Task Manager to appear as soon as possible. Don't rely on right clicking your task bar - you have to be quick. Watch the processes carefully for "13401774.exe." It might not be this particular number - it keeps changing - but it will be the only long .exe number in the process list.

Click it and Delete it immediately once you see it. It loads very fast so you have to be quick. Did I say you have to be quick? :) The virus does not load immediately...it is just after the Windows jingle...but if you don't get it then, you will have to reboot and go through the whole process again. It took me about eight attempts,and I was almost banging my head off the keyboard. .

This will remove most of Total Security *Bleep* , and allow you to then download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and remove any remnant of the virus.

Do NOT use Firefox...it seems to be unable to work as well in IE so I recommend you use IE to download anti malware. .

Good luck. This worked for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals