Forget Expensive Handcreams & Moisturisers

Options
If you want a hard working and effective handcream and moisteriser remedy which is really inexpensive, try using a good hair conditioner. It really works on your hands, face or wherever. Use it when showering or on it's own. It's amazing. Let me know how it works for you and which you find the best one to use

Comments

• ~~Diane~~
    ~~Diane~~ Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Well I wouldn't want to be putting conditioner on my face or anywhere else for that matter other than my hair :eek:
    2011 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £250 ~ saved £743.32
    2012 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £250 ~ saved £435.75
    2013 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £300 ~ saved £521
    2014 Sealed Pot Challenge #1238 hoping for £400 ~ saved
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hmm...I think your advice could be dangerous for some people.
    I don't think conditioner has been clinically tested on hands & face.
    Sure it shouldn't be that bad because it can inadvertantly get into eyes, face etc. but it certainly won't have gone through rigorous clinical tests and we don't know the long term effects.

I would suggest people use the right products for the right part of their body as in the UK, the clinical testing is pretty rigourous.
    There are cheap products available from Boots/Aldi which can be used with a high degree of safety.
  • Also, quite apart from the clinical angle, good hair conditioner costs quite a bit so I'm not sure there would be any cost advantage as you can get perfectly good moisturising products quite reasonably as lisyloo has said.
    A [STRIKE]B[/STRIKE][STRIKE]C [/STRIKE]D E [STRIKE]F[/STRIKE]G H I J K L M N O P Q R S [STRIKE]T[/STRIKE]U V [STRIKE]W [/STRIKE]X Y Z
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A beautician told me that the only thing you should be putting on your face and hands is sun cream, you shouldnt need to spend more money on a moisturiser or hand cream. That way you are moisturing your skin AND protecting it from the sun.

Think im going to try this when my moisturiser runs out.

Jackie xx
  • Nadulak
    Options
    Appreciate some of the comments made, but as one of the previous respondents said, if it shouldn't go on your skin, you shouldn't be washing your hair in it in the first place.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A beautician told me that the only thing you should be putting on your face and hands is sun cream

I have certainly seen it reported many times by doctors/scientists that the biggest factor in skin ageing is the sun and that includes dull days in the UK.

Whether they are best for softness, moisturising, wrinkles, plumping etc. I don't know, but certainly as a preventative measure it's a very good idea.
  • nesssie1702
    Options
    Nadulak wrote: »
    Appreciate some of the comments made, but as one of the previous respondents said, if it shouldn't go on your skin, you shouldn't be washing your hair in it in the first place.

Yes, but in addition to that it was added that use of hair conditioner on the face probably hasn't been clinically tested.

Don't do anything that might compromise your skin safety.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I once left the showe in the gym in a huge hurry, I had stupidly forgotten to rinse out my conditioner!

I arrived home with my head feeling so icky and itchy I jumped straight into the bath (I have no shower).

I don't think I have a bad conditioner (I used Aveda at the time) and its not that its an irritant to skin, its that it does not dry in to skin the way a good moisturiser will- the actual particals in hair conditioner are far larger then that of a hand cream simply because your hair is able to allow the larger particles to settle into it with ease and then rinse out the excess you don't need, the pores of your hands are just not that big, added to that its not got the same mineral contents so is likely to just leave you feeling like you have a thick film on your hands until you rinse thoroughly with soap!
  • knithryn
    knithryn Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    I use Aldi Siana day cream and night cream £1.75 each. Last ages, lovely smell... effective too, makes my skin glow, leaves it soft. Can't say it eliminates wrinkles but very few (none) actually do!
    Rarely use conditioner on my hair....so I reckon that's about as cheap as you can get!
  • Cloth_Ears
    Options
    Quick .. I went into Aldo today and the Siana Day cream is on offer for 99p !!! that's whole pound off !!!!

Happy shopping !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport