Abbey National Shares?

Hi,

I hope someone can help as I am quite clueless about this situation!

My grandmother passed away in 2000. I have recently come across her 100 shares in Abbey National, which she wanted me to have. I would like to somehow sell these shares but I think I have to call the Abbey first to get them transferred into my name. I have a copy of her death certificate, will that be sufficient?

Also, will these shares now be classed as Santander shares?

And finally, how long approximately should it take to complete the process and sell the shares?

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• gozomark
    gozomark Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    I have recently come across her 100 shares in Abbey National, which she wanted me to have. - were they left to you in her will, or do you have any other proof she wanted you to have them ?
  • gozomark wrote: »
    I have recently come across her 100 shares in Abbey National, which she wanted me to have. - were they left to you in her will, or do you have any other proof she wanted you to have them ?

Thanks for replying!

And the answer is no, I have no official 'proof'.... When she was alive she always said she'd leave them to me but she never made a will. Would I need proof of this to transfer them, other than her death certificate?

They've been here since she died but I lost them in a house reshuffle and have only this past week came across them again!

PS Would it be easier to get them transferred into my father (her sons) name and him to sell them on my behalf?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 September 2009 at 4:17PM
    PS Would it be easier to get them transferred into my father (her sons) name and him to sell them on my behalf?

If he was named in will, or the beneficiary by intestate law, then yes

After all if anyone could pop up and claim transfer of shares to them that would be a legal loophole begging to be exploited by the crooks of this world

As you know these are now Santander and listed on Spanish stock exchange, not London, so selling may not be simple, with possible Spanish taxes to pay, but I have no detailed knowledge of this as I sold my Abbey prior to takeover to avoid this complication
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Santander has an ADR on the LSE. The symbol to use is BNC

I expect you be given these though Im not sure. I do know they like their customers to hold their shares and probably have a helpdesk for this, ask them

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=bnc.l&.yficrumb=8ciCmbKrhn3

They give a higher dividend then you would get holding the cash in a savings account
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As has been said before, someone can't just pop up and ask for another person's shares to be transfered.

When my mother died last year she left a small amount of HBOS shares. I've looked back my paperwork and note below the information I had to supply to the Registrar of the shares:

A Small Estates Declaration and Indemnity Form - showing that her estate wasn't enough to require Certificate of Confirmation (probate in England).
    A cheque for £69
    A Death Certificate
    A legally certified copy of her Will (to show that I was her executor)

In your grandmother's case if there was no will, only her legal next of kin can claim these shares - presumably your father and any brothers or sisters he has.

The fact that she said you could have them means nothing at all legally.
  • this is not a reply but another question about the Abbey National Shares... At last trying to sort out my deceased Mum's paperwork I have found a piece of paper 'Notice of allocation of free shares'. I have tried ringing a couple of 0870 numbers and they cannot find my mum on their register... any suggestions. (Think I have rung Capita and Equinity)
  • I am in the same boat as 'jmoney' has anyone any idea how I can start tracing my father's shares from Abbey National?

Thanks

DT
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Its not just a name, its the address thats more relevant if anything.

If you know all the addresses and postcodes going back 20 years that might have been used for a bank and then share register. Its possible they might help, the alternative is that the shares were sold a long time ago.

I remember a few bank ipo and an option would be to sell immediately. Lots of people took the money

share registrar
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=share+registrar
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure