Need help please!!

Options
I just recieved a bill from my elictricity supplier demanding I pay them £978 by the 2nd Sept! for my actual electricity i have used. I only live in a 1 bedroom flat. However i do not have this kind of money as i have just finished uni and do not have a job yet. I am struggling to pay the bills as it is without this. I tried 2 contact them but they are closed for the bank holiday.
Was wondering if anyone could offer advice as i'm really anxious about this. It seems unrealistic to me.
Thanks

Comments

• tizhimi
    tizhimi Posts: 457 Forumite
    Options
    I presume you got a meter reading when you moved in... and for now yeah? Surely this is an error on their part.

Work out how many units you have used and have a look on the website and work out the costs from there.
    I run an event management company, I put on events, I go to events, if I don't know anything about events - its not worth knowing!
    :j:j:jNegotiate, Negotiate, and Negotiate again.:j:j:j
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    First of all, check that the bill is accurate - that it is your meter and the readings are accurate. You need to check the meter readings, of course, but it is possible that your previous bills have been estimated and you have been paying much less than you have used. This happens when your bills are estimated but you don't submit actual readings to your supplier.

If this is the case, contact the supplier and negotiate repayment. It is due now so don't delay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure