Best place to put £5k for 12 months?

Options
I have been given a gift of £5000, on the basis that I don't touch it for 12 months. What is the best place to invest this for that time period?

I currently have a cash ISA with HSBC, however I have access to this money online and I'd prefer it to be less readily available, just in case I'm tempted!

Thanks for any advice

Neil

Comments

• Call_Centre_Guru
    Options
    Use your Isa allowance if you're a tax payer on a 1 year fixed
    :beer:
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ignore Highabove. There's no such thing as a 'guaranteed investment'. And to get 12k from 5k in 12 months is screaming at 'pyramid scheme'.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • D1zzy
    D1zzy Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Options
    LLoyds Vantage - 4% instant access. You will need to put £1000 in and out again each month
  • Gymgenius
    Options
    Ignore Highabove. There's no such thing as a 'guaranteed investment'. And to get 12k from 5k in 12 months is screaming at 'pyramid scheme'.

Was Highabove punting that Afon Business again?
    I replied to a thread about that, saying it looked too good to be true and it's vanished, along with all of Highabove's posts.
  • abstemious
    Options
    neil_s wrote: »

I currently have a cash ISA with HSBC, however I have access to this money online and I'd prefer it to be less readily available, just in case I'm tempted!

Thanks for any advice

Neil

Move your HSBC ISA over to Manchester BS. 3.26% interest and you have to give 45 days notice by post to make a withdrawal. Might cut down the temptation a little!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure