Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Pup part II

edited 30 August 2009 at 10:02PM in Pets & pet care
10 replies 1.1K views
Mimi_Arc_en_cielMimi_Arc_en_ciel Forumite
4.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 30 August 2009 at 10:02PM in Pets & pet care
Hi everyone - thought i would update you on my situation with neighbours and my dog barking (i think you might find this amusing!)

Anyway, My LL attended and said i was doing everything possible and that he wouldnt take the matter any further with regards to my neighbours complaint.

Now had a letter from the council - shes complained to them now.

ANYWAY i had an issue about her dog being at the window, she said she would sort it and she hasnt so my dad took a photo of it at the window, unfortunatley neighbour caught him and started on me. Anyway after some raised voices (from her) and trying to sort it like adults (that would be me) she said she complained about my dog barking "because when the workmen were round he was barking at them" well erm . . . yeah! thats what hes there to do!

I then told her that i did look at buying one of those ultra sonic sound thingymajigs (didnt tell her i ruled it out completely) and i said i was going to put pukka spikes up to stop cats coming over my next door neighbour threw a wobbly. How dare i put up an ultrasonic deivse that would affect HER dog and how dare i even suggest putting up pukka spikes ON MY OWN FENCE

Im ringing the council first thing on Tuesday morning - ive also wrote a letter n shes getting a copy - oh and what she doesnt know is ive also got a tape recording of her brats winding my dog up AND ive got the pic of her dog at the window (am i being childish now??)

anyone wanna swap neighbours with me?

(if anyone can think of any other things i can mention to the council let me know - Thanks!)

me x

Replies

• Mimi_Arc_en_cielMimi_Arc_en_ciel Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Your letter dated 26th August 2009

I refer to the letter you sent me regarding my dog barking at my property. I am also aware the complaint has been generated by my Neighbours at xxxxxxxxxx and would like to submit some information to the council that i believe should be considered regarding this case.

I have had numerous problems with my neighbours since moving into my proterty. We have had issues with their own animal which has involed the dog warden and also I have been threatened by my neighbours which has resulted in police involvement.

On Saturday 29th August I was able to speak to my neighbour in a civalised manner regarding the complaint. My neighbour advised me that she had complained to the council after having no success with the housing association. Origionally my Neighbour complained to a Mr xxx at xxxx, who after speaking to myself and investigating my neighbours claims, dropped the complaint as he was satisfied that my dog was not causing a nuicesce and barking constantly.

My neighbour admitted to me, in front of witnesses, that the reason she complained regarding my dog barking was because when they had workmen to their property my dog was barking at them. I was informed that the work men were doing some grafting to her outside property which is in view of my dog who was barking at these strangers.

Our properties are in the middle of a 4 block of houses. My other neighbour currently has a problem with mice coming on to her yard, which is attracting cats. I have explained to my neighbour that i can not stop my dog from barking at a cat as it is his natural instinct to do so. My neighbour at xx has a rottwiller, when they let him onto their back garden he jumps up at our fence snarling. My daughter is scared of my neighbours dog and often cries and runs away when she sees this dog (My daughter is 2 years old) our dog does bark when the rottwiller is out but again, i can not stop this.

My neighbour mentioned to me that often when she is in the yard she leans over our fence to "see whats around" and my dog barks at her and the two teenage boys who live next door to me often hang out of their bedroom window throwing lit cigerette ends and stones at my dog, who again does bark at them. I can not stop my dog barking when he is being enticed and teased.

My dog is a 9 month old Jack Russell. We got him from a family in xxx who kept him outside. He doesnt like to be in the house and i let him stay in the yard from 9am till 6pm and i bring him in at night. From what i am aware my neighbour has said i leave him outside all hours - this is not the case. I am a house wife and I have just had a serious operation to remove a cyst in my mouth and have been at home constantly other than having to attend hospital. When i do go for my hospital appointments i do admit that i leave my dog unattended but i have 2 people who come to check on him and my neighbour at xxx also looks out for him. My dog has a kennel, toys, 3 water bowls and 1 food bowl in his secitoned off area. He is walked daily and attends dog training classes.

Whilst speaking to my neighbour on Saturday i mentioned that I have looked into things to stop my dog barking but there is only so much i can do. I have looked at getting an ultra sonic device which would deter my dog from barking but when i explained this to my neighbour she said she would complain about this device as it would affect her dog too. I also mentioned to my neighbour that i had been given permission from the housing association to install "Pukka Spikes" to stop cats getting on to our yard and my neighbour said she would take them down as they was insightly.

You will notice from the council system that when my neighbour originally complained to xxx i rang the council and asked for a advice and was sent a leaflet on dogs barking so i could prevent any further issues with my neighbours. I am not a careless owner and i am trying my best.

I would also like to point out that unknown to my neighbour i have set up a tape recorder to seen exactly what my dog is doing when i am not around - For me to install CCTV it would be very costly and i need to have permission from my Landlord. On the recordings i have you can hear people enticing my dog to bark to "write it down" - this is not only unfair but also an abhorrent thing to do to an animal.

Should you wish to speak to me further or offer any suggestions please contact me on xxxxxxxx

Thank you

Mommyme

Can anyone suggest any edits for this letter to the council or is it ok?

Ta!
  • orlaoorlao Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mommyme wrote: »
    Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Your letter dated 26th August 2009

I refer to the letter you sent me regarding my dog barking at my property. I am also aware the complaint has been generated by my Neighbours(use their name) at xxxxxxxxxx and would like to submit some information to the council that i believe should be considered regarding this case.

I have had numerous problems with my neighbours since moving into my proterty. We have had issues with their own animal which has involed the dog warden and also I have been threatened by my neighbours which has resulted in police involvement. (date and names of people you spoke to, crime report number if available)

On Saturday 29th August I was able to speak to my neighbour in a civalised manner regarding the complaint. My neighbour advised me that she had complained to the council after having no success with the housing association. Origionally my Neighbour complained to a Mr xxx at xxxx, who after speaking to myself and investigating my neighbours claims, dropped the complaint as he was satisfied that my dog was not causing a nuicesce and barking constantly.

My neighbour admitted to me, in front of witnesses(name them), that the reason she complained regarding my dog barking was because when they had workmen to their property my dog was barking at them. I was informed that the work men were doing some grafting to her outside property which is in view of my dog who was barking at these strangers.

Our properties are in the middle of a 4 block of houses. My other neighbour currently has a problem with mice coming on to her yard, which is attracting cats. I have explained to my neighbour that i can not stop my dog from barking at a cat as it is his natural instinct to do so. My neighbour at xx has a rottwiller(is this the complaining neighbours dog? if not don't even mention it.), when they let him onto their back garden he jumps up at our fence snarling. My daughter is scared of my neighbours dog and often cries and runs away when she sees this dog (My daughter is 2 years old) our dog does bark when the rottwiller is out but again, i can not stop this. (rather than say you can't stop this, maybe ask for their ideas on a solution?)

My neighbour mentioned to me that often when she is in the yard she leans over our fence to "see whats around" and my dog barks at her and the two teenage boys who live next door to me often hang out of their bedroom window throwing lit cigerette ends and stones at my dog, who again does bark at them. I can not stop my dog barking when he is being enticed and teased. (as above)

My dog is a 9 month old Jack Russell. We got him from a family in xxx who kept him outside. He doesnt like to be in the house and i let him stay in the yard from 9am till 6pm and i bring him in at night. From what i am aware my neighbour has said i leave him outside all hours(ask what her complaint is instead of guessing;)) - this is not the case. I am a house wife and I have just had a serious operation to remove a cyst in my mouth and have been at home constantly other than having to attend hospital. When i do go for my hospital appointments i do admit that i leave my dog unattended but i have 2 people who come to check on him and my neighbour at xxx also looks out for him.(irrevelant) My dog has a kennel, toys, 3 water bowls and 1 food bowl in his secitoned off area. He is walked daily and attends dog training classes.

Whilst speaking to my neighbour on Saturday i mentioned that I have looked into things to stop my dog barking but there is only so much i can do. I have looked at getting an ultra sonic device which would deter my dog from barking but when i explained this to my neighbour she said she would complain about this device as it would affect her dog too. I also mentioned to my neighbour that i had been given permission from the housing association to install "Pukka Spikes" to stop cats getting on to our yard and my neighbour said she would take them down as they was insightly.(Very important to emphasise what you are trying to do to resolve the matter)

You will notice from the council system that when my neighbour originally complained to xxx i rang the council and asked for a advice and was sent a leaflet on dogs barking so i could prevent any further issues with my neighbours. I am not a careless owner and i am trying my best.

I would also like to point out that unknown to my neighbour(I'm not sure I would mention that the neighbour doesn't know about this, sounds too sneaky:D) i have set up a tape recorder to seen exactly what my dog is doing when i am not around - For me to install CCTV it would be very costly and i need to have permission from my Landlord. On the recordings i have you can hear people enticing my dog to bark to "write it down" - this is not only unfair but also an abhorrent thing to do to an animal.

Should you wish to speak to me further or offer any suggestions please contact me on xxxxxxxx

Thank you

Mommyme

Can anyone suggest any edits for this letter to the council or is it ok?

Ta!

First things first, has she really complained to the council or is she just winding you up? I'd run the letter through a spell check, always easier to take someone seriously if the letter is short and well written (no offence meant) with minimal emotion. I'd be inclined to ring the council informally first and leave the letter writing until you are sure there is a complaint made. Then you will be able to answer the points one by one rather than muddying the water with what maybe irrevevant issues. That would also be the time to produce the recordings:rotfl::rotfl:and hopefully discredit your neighbours.

HTH
  • edited 31 August 2009 at 1:57PM
    Mimi_Arc_en_cielMimi_Arc_en_ciel Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 31 August 2009 at 1:57PM
    Hi - thanks for reply - after I put letter on here I did spell check it lol I have atrocious spellings hehe I have put in the letter to the council people's names but for obvious reasons didn't put it on here and the bit about my op is relevant because they have said I'm "always out of the house" when in actual fact I'm always in lol yes its their dog I have previously complained about. The recorder was set up on advice from LL and at our neighbourhood meeting I said. I was going to do it - she didn't attend. I'm ringing the council first thing on tuesday. - she has complained, I've had a letter from the council. Am also putting in the letter that when she origionally complained to LL I rang thje council for advise - gotta help me more than go against me surely?
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Don't forget the neighbours from hell website.

http://www.nfh.org.uk/forums/index.php
    4.8K Posts
    Forumite
    just got this from the councils website:

The Animal Welfare Act requires anyone who is responsibile for a pet to do what is reasonable to meet their welfare needs- these include:
    • A proper diet (including water)
    • somewhere suitable to live
    • any need to be housed with, or apart from, other animals
    • allowing animals to express normal behaviour
    • protection from pain, suffering, injury and disease.
    Now - bulletpoint 4 - does barking not consist of "normal behaviour" then?

Am i getting petty now? lol

Have emailed the council and cc'd the LL - will call them tomorrow
  • edited 31 August 2009 at 3:29PM
    welshmoneyloverwelshmoneylover Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 31 August 2009 at 3:29PM
    Dogs do bark and yes it is normal behaviour.

But I think you have to draw the line under what constitutes nuisance behaviour.

My dog barks especially when someone knocks the front door or he hears a noise late at night when we're all in bed, but he doesn't bark excessively and its only sporadic. So yes it is normal but only to a point.

A few years back, a neighbour of mine used to go and sleep in his girfriends house. His 2 dogs slept in his garden shed all night, needless to say they barked all bl**dy night. It started to drive me a bit demented. He didn't know anything about it until he has a rather curt note shoved through his door highlighting the problem (Note was not from me, but even I was getting fed up of having no sleep). That was the end of the barking, he slept back in his house and took the dogs inside. Result = no more barking, happy neighbours and 2 v happy dogs.

Even if he kept his dogs outside and they were barking during the day, I think I would get a bit fed up and start making complaints to the council and I'm a huge lover of dogs.

So perhaps I'm trying to say that *maybe* your dog being outside all day and barking is constituting a nuisance to your neighbour.

Have you tried an antibark collar?
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
    4.8K Posts
    Forumite
    I would agree that he may have been causing agro but I've been in the house when my dog has "supposidly" been barking and I have seen them teasing him so I'm not going to bend over backwards for them. We've had problems with them in the past and the day they complained about my dog just happened to be the day they got a letter from the council regarding unsociable noise which doesn't strike me as a coincedence. I've tried to sort things with them but they are unreasonable. I've had the dog for nearly a year and the dog barking has only annoyed them these past two weeks?! Doesn't add up
  • welshmoneyloverwelshmoneylover Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Forumite
    hmm, mommyme, I see where you are coming from now. Perhaps they are just grasping at straws towards their own defence by attacking the pooch.

I hope you manage to get it sorted, whatever, you do, DO NOT give away your dog just on your neighbour's say so x
    4.8K Posts
    Forumite
    hmm, mommyme, I see where you are coming from now. Perhaps they are just grasping at straws towards their own defence by attacking the pooch.

I hope you manage to get it sorted, whatever, you do, DO NOT give away your dog just on your neighbour's say so x

OHHH noo i would never get rid of him - hes a pain in the bum but hes a part of our family lol I spoke to the council after sending that email to them and they have said that they will speak to LL as they thought it was suspect that only ONE neighbour had complained (our house is in a circle with all others, kinda like a cul de sac) and the lady at the council said they probably wont recieve anything back from my neighbour but she said she would call me if she does and arrange to visit me at my home (which i really dont have a problem with!)

:)

Mommyme 1 - nasty neighbours 0
  • welshmoneyloverwelshmoneylover Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Forumite
    mommyme wrote: »
    ohhh noo i would never get rid of him - hes a pain in the bum but hes a part of our family

:)

mommyme 1 - nasty neighbours 0

:t:t:t:t:t:t
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum