Options
John_Fox_2
John_Fox_2 Posts: 98 Forumite
edited 31 August 2009 at 11:46PM in Disability money matters
edited post

Comments

• longhotbath
    Options
    Hi - the person that posted about the major buggy is incorrect. The DLA will / blue badge will be assessed on their needs, NOT the equipment .
    The DLA form does not mention the major by name.

A major buggy CAN be used for a child with quad cp, but who can sit independently and need little latteral support, but who does not have the arm strength or stamina for a self propel wheelchair.

A very dear friends daughter uses one - for the reasons above, but she is unable to move, let alone walk, but uses a major as that suits her needs!.

Often, though, the major is used for children with mild / moderate physical needs, but who may tire easily. They may not qualify for HRM.
    My son, who will never be able to walk gets HRM.

Just write down, truthfully, what the needs of the child are.
  • John_Fox_2
    edited 31 August 2009 at 11:46PM
    Options
    edited post
  • longhotbath
    Options
    Im confused - I didnt realise the major was named on my sons renewal last autumn.

If the form askes for equipment used and he uses a major, then you should put it down. The DLA bods WILL get supporting evidence from his school / physio / paed / GP and they may mention it, and for you not to do so will not be favourable.

.... have just looked at the DWP site, so now know where you are coming from.

The 'major' is named along with 'wheelchair' as it is a buggy used by older children with a disability, but some parents see it as a buggy rather than a mobility aid like walkers / wheelchairs / powerchairs, and as such WILL NOT do against your son. Who ever said it would is wrong. You do not get a lower rate BECAUSE you use equipment. The equipment is used because he NEEDS it. (there could be all sorts of reasons why the other posters relative had her level reduced - probably did not put enough detail in / or even DWP input error!!).

If my son got a powerchair tomorrow, he would not stop getting HRM as he is still unable to walk and therefore meets the criteria for HRM.

Bottom line - putting the major down will not point to a more likely entitlement for HRM, but it will also not point to a less likely entitlement. Its based on the ability to walk, not the eqiupment used.
  • John_Fox_2
    edited 31 August 2009 at 11:45PM
    Options
    edited post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts