Closing/Deleting threads

Why do the guides/mods delete threads rather than closing them and providing a statement to explain why they have been closed?

A statement explaining the reasons and highlighting any particular rules that have been broken would obviously serve as a warning.

Do we really live in a world where we need censorship at this level on a public forum?

I understand that in extreme circumstances the thread may need deleted if it there is illegal content but I am sure that in most cases closing the thread suffices.

I have in the past reported one particular thread as it contained comments which were racist but I would have expected it to be closed with a warning rather than deleted.

Comments

• It looks like the thread regarding crisis loan for milk has gone again.
    Can anybody tell me how they found it yesterday?
  • tuggy12
    tuggy12 Posts: 1,314
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes, it's annoying when you mark a thread to follow up later, only to find it's gone without any explanation.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    The HRM thread on the Benefits board has been locked for apparently no reason, and the OP has deleted/ edited all of their posts. Very irritating.

The OP had asked me for help by PM, but I do not think that is fair to give help privately when other people could benefit from the information given.

The baby milk thread has probably gone because I told someone they were talking nonsense, after she told me that I had made up a post I had quoted (and was then proven wrong)!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • I guess the op feels extremely guilty. And at least those of us who read it can't have it deleted from our memories.

What I find annoying is all my responses to it have been deleted from my own personal list.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    edited 1 September 2009 at 7:56PM
    It is against policy and legal advice for us to publish whats wrong with a thread.

An extreme example will help

E.g. This thread has been closed due to racist content.

1. That means we've left the racist content up
    2. That means we're accusing people of being racists, something that is potentially defamatory.

As such - the policy is we cannot give explanation - we have to take a judgement call - and the reason it has been deleted is because it broke forum rules.

I understand that its frustrating, but sadly that's the way it has to operate.

Very few threads are ever deleted or closed - a tiny fraction of a percent.

regards

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Martin,

Could we please have the thread locked instead of closing it?
    Or at least delete the posts by the indivuduals who are "to blame".

A lot of the info in particular posts can be useful to some users.

Thanks
  • Martin, I am confused. I don't recall racist comments on the post, or illegal comments, so why has it been deleted along with my own words.

It clearly has disturbed many people because of it's nature. And judging by the resposes too. Why is it OK for an op to write a message such as this obviously expecting sympathy and for caring humans tired of abuse of children, not to retaliate or offer good sound advice because all the good common sense advice has gone too.
  • Actually which forum rules did it break?
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    itsnotfair wrote: »
    Actually which forum rules did it break?

I have no idea what the post was about and play no role in the abuse process.

The point of my post was to explain why we DONT say what rules it broke. As I noted I used an extreme example of racism - but the same issue applies.

If we start trying to categorise we did a hole for ourselves and we've been advised and thing it sensible not to do so

Hope that explains why

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MSE_Martin wrote: »

An extreme example will help

E.g. This thread has been closed due to racist content.

1. That means we've left the racist content up
    2. That means we're accusing people of being racists, something that is potentially defamatory.

It's so sad that the world has come to this...I mean the litigious nature of people, nothing that you're doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure