homemade pigs ears?

Hello!
We've just picked up two pigs head and have them soaking in brine ready to make brawn - but we fancied giving our dog a little MSE styley treat and are using the ears for him - does anyone know how to make crispy pigs ears for doggy consumption?
I would guess just bunging them in the oven would be okay but wondered if anyone had ever tried it!?
Thanks
Kkxx

Comments

• rachiee
    rachiee Posts: 407 Forumite
    Ive never made them before, always bought them but i suppose its best that way then you know your dogs getting good stuff. Although my vet recommended i dont feed my working dogs them as they are high in fat and can cause sickness abdominal pain and diarrhea [FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]and hold the Salmonella bacteria but i dont think this applies to homemade ones i think its just ones that are in boxes for months before sold! Have you tried google?? I would imagine they are just dried, i read somewere you put them in a fan oven to dry out and go crispy but not to cook them. Or some are air dried, just left to shrivvle i think! Not sure though, i hope someone can help on here better than i tried! :p
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Theres 2 types of horse owner, a person who owns a horse and a horsey person ;)
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    My neighbour buys them from the butchers for her dog but gives them raw. you can shallow fry them too. I think the ones from the pet shop are deep fried.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • I was always told never to give a dog anything pork/ham or from a pig .. not supposed to be good for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure