PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

bought with a friend and now have big problems

Options

Comments

• tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been thinking about this a bit now I'm sober.
    I think a possible rescue route is to tart up the house, remain amicable with your friend and then try to rent some of it out, or move back in. Last it out until the redemption period is over.
    Happy chappy
  • ktm_hansi
    ktm_hansi Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your ideas and putting different views across.

We have approached him regarding renting his room out, but he wants us to find a tenant and also the rent won't cover his mortgage - he seems to think we should cover the remainder. The difficulty is getting enough money from the room to pay for his costs.

We need to be at the house as this is the only time I have with my son and it would incredibly unfair to rent two of our rooms out and bring him to London especially as we have the forest, beach and nice garden to share with him. The main intention of the house was so I could spend quality time with my son.

We could bite the bullet and pay the redemption fee 50/50 and then I can go it alone, or we can try to resolve the situation with the flatmate (although neither party can understand each other's views). We will have to wait and see what time brings!
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    BoL and hope it all works out OK in the end.
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought the main intention of the house was to tart it up and sell it within 5 years?
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • ktm_hansi
    Options
    Wickedkitten - that is still our intention but over the course of that five years I have a place to stay with my son and soon to be new family.
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ktm_hansi wrote:
    Wickedkitten - that is still our intention but over the course of that five years I have a place to stay with my son and soon to be new family.

I'm just asking because you said that you bought the house over a year ago, but then you also said that over the course of the year you have been decorating your room and your sons room.

If you started out with the aim of selling the house on and your flatmate is the one doing the work, then you flip the script and decide that you want the house as a home for you and your family, then I can see why he would end up being a bit miffed about the whole thing.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ktm_hansi wrote:
    ...We have approached him regarding renting his room out, but he wants us to find a tenant and also the rent won't cover his mortgage - he seems to think we should cover the remainder....
    Again, he doesn't want much does he?
    ktm_hansi wrote:
    ...We could bite the bullet and pay the redemption fee 50/50...
    From what you have said, where is he going to get the 50% from?

I have a suggestion for you. Is there some sort of arbitration scheme available through a solicitor, business chamber, charity, whatever, who could get you both to sit down and agree all the details and what happens in all the possible scenarios?
    Edited to add apology to dander as they had already suggested this.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • ktm_hansi
    Options
    I agree BobProperty - we are trying to remain calm and keep the communication channels open, but it is very difficult as he does not respond to any of our emails and he disappears the weekends we are down. I have just gone overdrawn again and paid a hefty penalty because he hasn't paid his part of the mortgage, which he either intends to go out late or not at all. If it is the latter then yes we will be talking to the solicitor but discussing legal proceedings.

In answer to your comments WickedKitten - the only room we have now finished is my son's room. It was already discussed with my flatmate at the start that we were going to do this for two reasons. The first is that this was the worst room in the house and secondly, this is my son's first room (he has to share in his mum's house), so we wanted it to be a little special. We now have to do our room next as we are going to have a new born in the room and we wanted to paint it prior, so the baby can settle here.

My flatmate has winnie the pooh wallpaper in his room. It would have made a lot of sense for him to do his room first, instead of ripping things out in the communal areas. I must stress that my flatmate is not doing all the work. He starts a project doing all the fun stuff and then leaves it half finished for us to complete. He has ruined two rooms over 16months of being in the house.

Lastly we have never had the intention of moving down to Dorset and making it a family home as well my flatmate knows. It was only ever supposed to be a 5 year project of doing the house up while spending time with my son. He is miffed because he wants his own place and resents the fact that we are down every other weekend - despite the fact that we own 56% of the house and (as I keep mentioning) paying half the bills when we are not even there! I would be very happy for him to completely move out of my life as I am starting to resent his temper tantrums especially when we are blatantly helping him out financially!
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    catch him on the hop, so to speak if he won't answer your emails or are there when you are?

I would take some time off work and go down there unexpectedly and thrash the situation out.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • zag2me
    zag2me Posts: 695 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes i agree, sending emails is pointless. You need a calm face to face chat.
    Save save save!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport