fuel points cards? (not credit cards)

Options
OK, I don't want to know anything about CCs, but I couldn't think of a better place for this post :o (and it's one of my "local" boards anyway :cool:)

As the impending proud(?) owner of a company fuel card, I will no longer be able to get 2% cashback on my fuel purchases - which leaves me wondering how I can stooz on my fuel card? :D

What is the best points card for use with petrol? Nectar? Oil company specific? (eg Shell, etc). Supermarket chain? Ideally it would have as wide an acceptance as possible and I'd be able to convert the points either to cash or be able to use them somewhere I shop normally. A combination of Nectar and Tesco could be the best option I guess, but I don't want to end up carrying loads of cards round cos it just takes too long to get enough points to be worthwhile.

If you have a suggestion, please say where the points can be accrued and how/where they can subsequently be used.
You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:

Comments

• CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 August 2009 at 12:25PM
    Options
    Full list of cards here.

Never saw any advantage to these myself always preferred the slow-stooze benefits, not possible to "opt out"? I collect Nectar points on any BP spending, paying with my Tesco clubcard credit card for points and slow-stooze benefits. Not aware of any personal benefits to a company fuel card, but curious if anybody else knows of one.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • LongTermLurker
    LongTermLurker Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2009 at 12:55PM
    Options
    CannyJock wrote: »
    Full list of cards here.
    Ah, not what I was looking for I'm afraid. They're cards that your company would tie into (a bit like a company CC), rather than cards that give the driver points.

It is possible to opt out. I've opted in to try it for a while. The advantages can be financial, because your private fuel is paid for by the company (you pay tax on the benefit through your P11D, which is obviously only 20% or 40% of the actual fuel cost) and you can claim tax back on the company fuel (20% or 40% of 40ppm - actual_cost for first 10000 miles and 25ppm - actual_cost for each mile thereafter). As with many companies I think, you have to pay a contribution to the company for the private portion - in my case, I think it could be a close call but we'll see.

I guess more business miles @ cheaper petrol will net you more tax back, but more private miles @ dearer petrol will mean the combination of personal contribution + tax is less than you would have paid personally - then you have to account for the 2% you could have got in cashback on the total fuel usage, plus ther tax you could have claimed back on the business mileage. It's a very ungreen system, which encourages you to drive more than you normally might.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • milligram
    Options
    I don't have a fuel card but I do claim a heck of a lot of mileage back on expenses.

I favour Tesco Clubcard. - I live near one, the double deal points works really well, I do all my shopping at tesco's every quarter I get a free weekly shop in money off vouchers so it works well.

My Father favours Nectar - Only uses BP garages and stays in Premier Travel Inn's without booking breakfast (so he can get the nectar points from brewers fayre buying breakfast himself).

Every christmas it's a case of argos book out, "Right... pick something you want" and voila free extra christmas presents :)

Looked at Shell but other than air miles (which clubcard points can turn into at four times the value of a point) I'd never use it for anything.
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    I think nectar looks the best deal for me. Unfortunately, there's no Shell, BP garages, Sainsburys or Tesco's near me, but I guess there are more BP garages on the road than Tesco's so I'll have more chance of picking something up.
  • zoomy
    zoomy Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    My company fuel card is a Texaco one and I collect Texaco stars. 1 star for each £1 spent - they convert to vouchers including M+S and Argos (£5 for 500 stars) or Virgin airmiles 1000 stars = 1000 miles
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2010 at 2:40AM
    Options
    Shell credit card used to 3% cashback, but now only 1% - not open to new customers

Asda credit card 1% - again seems to be not open to new customers

Egg Money card - 1% cashback - can still get this and not just a promtional rate like others

Tesco Clubcard Plus - double clubcard pts (~8% cashback), better than their credit card - however I find Tesco's quite dear for petrol, Asda and Sainsburys always good deal cheaper. But pts on deals is worthwhile

Never liked Necter as BP station dear - If combine Nectar card with Nectar Credit Card and spend over £500 month (extra 500pts), then this works out about 1.9% cashback

Morrisons - cheap petrol and pts (1.5% cashback)

See top cashback and rewards pts cards on this website. Also see rewardschecker on this website

You need to work out how much you have to spend to get however many pts

I use Tesco (~12% cashback or 12p off a litre) if cheap petrol, then Shell, Asda or Egg (1%). Sometimes even with the cashback/pts, some petrol stations are cheaper eg Sainburys, Morrisons and Asda, so it works out better to just go for the cheap price.
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    Thanks for your input, all valid and people will find it useful...

However, my post wasn't for credit cards ;) - I don't spend any money on petrol, all bills go direct to the company, so cashback doesn't come into the equasion. Thus I was looking for some way to get usable points regardless of the method of payment - nectar or clubcard would have worked for that, but there are no BP, Sainsurys or Tesco stations on my usual route, so they would have forced a diversion. If it had just come down to cashback, my Halifax 2% card would have done nicely.

In the end I didn't bother, I prefer to just buy petrol either somewhere convenient on my usual route to work or at the nearest when I notice the needle getting low. I reckoned I'd get so few points to be useful, and then I could only spend them at places I don't currently shop, so the "benefit" would force a change of pattern, which also isn't my way of thinking.

As I say, thanks for taking the time to post anyway.
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    CannyJock wrote: »
    Full list of cards here.

Never saw any advantage to these myself
    LTL - I guess more business miles @ cheaper petrol will net you more tax back, but more private miles @ dearer petrol will mean the combination of personal contribution + tax is less than you would have paid personally
    Just revisiting this, I'm doing a lot of stop-start private mileage and reported fuel economy is quite low, so I think at year end it'll probably work out in my favour to have opted in.
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Options
    R.Hicks wrote: »
    I don't have a fuel card but I do claim a heck of a lot of mileage back on expenses.

I favour Tesco Clubcard. - I live near one, the double deal points works really well, I do all my shopping at tesco's every quarter I get a free weekly shop in money off vouchers so it works well.

My Father favours Nectar - Only uses BP garages and stays in Premier Travel Inn's without booking breakfast (so he can get the nectar points from brewers fayre buying breakfast himself).

Every christmas it's a case of argos book out, "Right... pick something you want" and voila free extra christmas presents :)

Looked at Shell but other than air miles (which clubcard points can turn into at four times the value of a point) I'd never use it for anything.

Tesco don't give double points on fuel.

Morrisons miles card is quite good but it gives you a £5 voucher to spend in store, not on fuel to try and get you in spending more.

The Morrisons voucher does not give points per pound spent but points per litre of fuel so if fuel prices go up the value of it goes down.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Options
    It gives you a £5 voucher per 333 litres of fuel purchased, just checked on that as I couldn't remember.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure