Help please. How fast are the DVLA?

Glitzkiss
Glitzkiss Posts: 5,326 Forumite
edited 30 August 2009 at 8:18AM in Motoring
Hi,

I'm going down the scrappage scheme and have found a car I like. Problem is I've never changed my licence or registered address of my old car from my parents house to mine :o but I have done all my bank accounts, credit cards etc :rolleyes: According to the dealer everything has to match so my question is how quick are the DVLA at issuing new licences and car reg documents?

Also, many of the dealers I have been talking to have said that the scheme is going to finish sooner rather than later. Is this true and have I got time to get my documents in place?

Hope this makes sense and someone can help

Comments

• flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    Standard turnaround times are 15 working days for licence and 20 working days for logbook.

However it is usually much quicker. 7 days for licence 10 for logbook if you're lucky.

My advice, send by registered delivery so you can track them, send to correct address (there are separate postcodes for each).

Athough the address on your logbook doesn't have to be your current address, it just has to be a contactable address so may have a work with dealer again.

HTH

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Glitzkiss
    Standard turnaround times are 15 working days for licence and 20 working days for logbook.

However it is usually much quicker. 7 days for licence 10 for logbook if you're lucky.

My advice, send by registered delivery so you can track them, send to correct address (there are separate postcodes for each).

Athough the address on your logbook doesn't have to be your current address, it just has to be a contactable address so may have a work with dealer again.

HTH

x

Thanks flutterby, it's probably worth going down that route then. The other option was to get a statement for a dormant bank account that is still registered at my folks however there's a further problem in that I filled in the change of address on the registration certificate of the car months ago and then never got round to posting it :wall::wall:

I really must stop procrastinating and being so disorganised
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 August 2009 at 1:50PM
    Not sure if this helps, but I got my new log book in two yes two days!

I am lucky as I have a DVLA office in the town I stay. I went in there after filling out the form for missing V5 / log book and they then fast track the request for a replacement. So if you have one near you pop in as it will save a lot of time.

I was told it should be with me in 5 days, but it was with me in two days. I applied on the Thursday about 4.30pm so quite late in the evening and the documents were with me on the Saturday.

When you go into the office, they are able to do the request there and then on the computer so if you can do it this way go for it.

They could also have changed my driving licence the same way to a photo one, but I need to keep it the way it is until I pick up my new car for every thing to match.

Hope this helps.
  • Glitzkiss
    Not sure if this helps, but I got my new log book in two yes two days!

I am luck as I have a DVLA office in the town I stay. I went in there after filling out the form for missing V5 / log book and they then fast track the request for a replacement. So if you have one near you pop in as it will save a lot of time.

I was told it should be with me in 5 days, but it was with me in two days. I applied on the Thursday about 4.30pm so quite late in the evening and the documents were with me on the Saturday.

When you go into the office, they are able to do the request there and then on the computer so if you can do it this way go for it.

They could also have changed my driving licence the same way to a photo one, but I need to keep it the way it is until I pick up my new car for every thing to match.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Joyce, there is a DVLA office in Aberdeen so I'll pop in a see what they say. Hopefully they will be able to speed things up however I'm aware the traditional September rush may go against me
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm glad you have an office close to you. I went in at 4pm in the Dundee office, maybe slightly earlier and it was really busy with both members of the public and dealers taxing cars for customers.

Might be worthwhile avoiding first thing on the 1st (dealers clambering for the last minute taxing for cars going out the same day), same again for last thing at night for the next day with it being the 59 reg releases so they will be busy this week.

I think around 11am would be not to bad as it would start to calm down by then hopefully.

Oh and you can pay there and then by switch if that helps too (or at least you could in Dundee).

Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Oh and as once your at the front of the queue in the office, everything is automated I don't think you will be affected much at all by the September rush. More so last week with it being a bank holiday on Monday so you have chosen a better week.
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    Sorry to have to mention this but a lost logbook application is quicker than a change of details.

For a lost logbook all they do is take payment, press a button and a new one is printed and sent out in next post.

For a change of details logbook this needs to come to Swansea (so can't be processed by local office) and manually keyed in for the changes to take affect.

But you can still get it back in 7-10 days if you are lucky

HTH

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The latest opinion seems to be that scrappage funding will run out in October so best not procrastinate much more.
  • Glitzkiss
    Update: While searching through my paperwork for MOT, insurance etc I came across a passbook for an ISA from last year that has my old address in it. The dealer has said this will be ok as long as I can also get a letter from the building society to say this account is still open (I was carpetbagging so yes it is ;)) I've also found a tax certificate from June 2009 for my old ICESAVE account also sent to the old address and with any luck all of this will be sufficient for me to pick up my new car tomorrow morning :j:j:j:j:j:j:j

As my old car may not last the week this is very good news for me :T:T
  • FuzzyMoose
    FuzzyMoose Posts: 76 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2009 at 2:33PM
    Sorry to bring back an old thread but I had a similar problem.

All bank details, cat insurance etc was registered at my new address but the car log book was registered at my parents address.

Problem solved by the car dealership using my passport as id instead of my driving license - there is no address on a passport.

As soon as I get the new car all I have to do is send off the new log book and change the registered address to my current place
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure