Driving licence out of date

Options
I have just realised tonight that my driving licence is two months out of date. I have had no renewal notification, although we had a postal strike here a couple of months ago which may explain that.

Obviously I am going to renew it immediately, but does anyone know if driving without a valid licence will invalidate my car insurance?

Pink

Comments

• ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    ???????????????

Your driving licence lasts until you're 70 :confused:

If you mean tax disc then yes, will invalidate insurance, you will get a fine if caught and you could be prosecuted for driving without one:eek:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reply ceebeeby.

I live in N. Ireland and ours are only valid for 10 years. Mine expired on 10/03/06 :eek: and I didn't realise, I just came across it by accident this evening.

I visit people in their homes as part of my job, and I'm working tomorrow!Please can someone tell me if I'm going to invalidate my insurance if I drive?

Thanks,
    Pink
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please does anyone know the answer to this..........otherwise I am going to have to get Mr Pink up tomorrow morning on a bank holiday Monday to drive me around, and he's not going to be a very happy bunny. :undecided

Pink
  • tigs78
    tigs78 Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options
    I would imagine so as if you are not licenced to drive until you renew it... If you got stopped by trhe Police and were asked to produce your documents they would not accept the licence and you could be reported (to the courts) for driving otherwise in accordance with a licence. This is what would happen in England anyway, why don't you give your nearest 24hr Police Staion a ring and ask to speak with somebody in the Traffic dept - they will know for sure.

Hope this helps
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks tigs,

It has helped, a lot .........where's that thanks button! :mad: I hadn't thought of asking the police, it looks like Mr Pink has an early start tomorrow too. :D

Pink
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pink,

I've got a day at home tomorrow as my tax has run out and I can't renew it until Tuesday. :rolleyes: I looked at the new way of doing it by internet or phone but it can take up to five days to arrive. :confused:
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    probaby too late now but on my insurance policy it said if you don't have a licence but you are entitled to one and not dis-qualifed to having one. which is saying in your case if it is just some "paperwork" to get it renew ie you just put a stamp on an envelope fill in a form, enclose old licence and 2 weeks later a new one arrive. You will be covered. If on the other hand you have to do a test which result in a chance you won't get a licence than you won't be cover cause not a sure thing if that make sense.
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Just to be on the safe side I got Mr Pink to drive this morning and I'll phone my insurance company tomorrow to find out where I stand.

Pink
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    ceebeeby wrote:
    ???????????????

Your driving licence lasts until you're 70 :confused:

quote]
    Thank you for this very useful post - I nearly went into cardiac arrest when I read the OP as mine was issued in 1963 :rotfl: and I'd always assumed they'd contact me at renewal time.
  • ericthekidstoner
    Options
    Field 4b on yr photocard states the "License valid to" date

Your qualification is valid until you are 70 but the license itself is renewable after 10 years

checkout dvla.gov.uk or direct.gov.uk

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicenceArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4022084&chk=19IS3h
    Changing your photo on the photocard driving licence

Your photocard driving licence is valid for a maximum of 10 years, to ensure that your photograph is kept up to date with your true likeness. The DVLA will issue you with a reminder when your photocard driving licence is due for renewal.

How long will my licence take to be returned?

DVLA aim to deliver your driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It might take longer if we have to check on your health or personal details. Please allow at least three weeks for your licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.

Can I drive before my licence is returned?
    Once the DVLA has received your valid application, the law allows you to drive before the licence arrives as long as:

* you have held a Great Britain or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
    * you are not disqualified from driving (there are different rules for medium or large vehicles, minibus or bus drivers - the traffic commissioner for your area will decide whether to grant your entitlement to drive these vehicles)
    * you have not been, and would not be, refused a licence for medical reasons
    * you keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence

hope that helps
    (the dvla faq page about photocard licenses wasn't very helpful since it was blank!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure