Overflow pipe

Options
We had our garage converted to a playroom about 3 years ago by a professional builder. We have a down stairs loo and the overflow pipe eventually comes out at the front of the conversion . We have not had any problems until just recently,when we noticed tha the overflow pipe always had water coming from it. We have checked the cistern just to see if it is overflowing and this does not appear to be the case. Any ideas as to where this water is coming from and what we should do ??

Many thanks

Comments

• mrtobs
    mrtobs Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, Sorry if this is an obvious question, but when you checked the cistern, did you check the level of the water inside (ie, that it was below the overflow outlet)? I'm a bit mystified otherwise!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    unlikely i know, but its possible that the builder has put another pipe from somewhere, leading into the overflow pipe?
    Get some gorm.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    1] Condensation
    2] Overflow overnight in cistern which does not show in day after toilet has been flushed.

Get the ballcock changed or the washer replaced and see if the problem goes away.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You say the pipe eventually comes out at the front. Is it not obvious?

Could it be a pipe from somewhere else?
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • rockin_plumber
    Options
    If the overflow is connected at the bottom of the cistern, you should have a pipe inside the cistern about 10 inches long that the water would overflow into should the water level raise.

It could be that this pipe has a hole or a split and the water is escaping this way.
  • Lady_E
    Lady_E Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks rockin plumber , pipe had deteriorated. Plumber has now sorted it out , many thanks .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure