Lizzie's long and winding road to debt free-dom.

in Debt free diaries
28 replies 1.2K views
So here it is...diary number 3 (I think). My last two disappeared into obscurity around the time I fell off the wagon (yes I did it twice) (in spectacular style) but things have changed over the last 6 months and I'm more motivated than ever to get things straight.

Now I know that in the grand scheme of things, I don't really have that much to worry about, my student mastercard balance is shrinking slowly, the overdraft is still nearly maxed (but I'm not living out of it anymore), still have no hope of paying back my mum just yet but owing her is better than owing to the nasty storecard she paid off for me, so all in all I'm not doing to badly.

The thing is, just short of 6 months ago, the new man walked into my life when I was least expecting it. And being with him has altered my outlook on things quite a bit. I'm looking to the future now, to a future with him, and he's encouraged me to change my "live for now, f**k the future" attitude in favour of a more mature approach (suited to the fact that I am now 24 and no longer a layabout student).

We want to look at getting a place together after Christmas, which he is adamant we can afford on his wage alone. Now I know it's possible because he was doing it when we met, but I refuse to let him pay for everything. So my mission between now and Christmas is to work on getting the debt down and putting a little bit aside for housey stuff when the time comes.

My god I can go on a bit cant I!!
But I suppose all that's left to say is welcome to my diary :beer: I hope you'll stick around.

Much love and laughs, Lizzie xxxxxxxxxxxx
Natwest CC: £389.07 (limit £500)
Natwest OD: £1,932.62 (limit £2,000)
Mum: £1,500
Visa CC: £60.04 (limit £250)

Replies

• LilibooLiliboo Forumite
    136 Posts
    OK, so today I have spent £39.50 on petrol and 20p on a drink at work this morning, and 23p I had to put towards stuff for mum in the shop.

Obviously the petrol is a vital spend (I cant get to work without my car) so non essential spends = 43p.

Sold 4 nintendo ds games on ebay the other day, made about £30, and I have a stash of other stuff to list.

The boy is coming round here tonight and we'll stay in & watch a dvd, he's not getting here til late cuz he has to visit his nan in hospital first so hopefully wont be spending anymore tonight.
  • Hi. Just wanted to stop by to say hello and good luck, i've just started a diary on here too - first one - hoping to stick to it! And look forward to reading about your progress.
    136 Posts
    I think the best way to make these things work is to stick to them, to keep up with writing in them.

So today is Friday...last day of work til Tuesday. Booking my holiday with the boy in the morning so I'm excited for that.And I have £90 saved from my birthday to go holiday clothes shopping with!! :)

So it's off to work now...will catch up later. xxxx
    136 Posts
    Wow...halfway down page 4 and talking to myself...eek!!!
    Well anyway, today I have spent £1.50 in tesco on a newspaper, some peas and some bread. I also spent 20p at work in the drinks machine.

Posted ebay parcels, but that came out of the boys account, I've also been told we're going out for tea tonight but I'm assuming he'll be paying, as I'm skinter than a very skint thing.

Roll on the day when I'm qualified and earning some proper money.

xxxxxx
    136 Posts
    Ok, right at the bottom of page 3 this morning. Trying not to get too disheartened, its holiday day today (booking not going) so I'm all excited and ready for that. Will try not to spend on anything unecessary whilst in town, and I have my money set aside for holiday clothes so all should hopefully be well.

Will update later when holiday is booked and all is sorted.
    136 Posts
    Wow...page 8!!!!
    I suppose that'll teach me to go off the radar for a couple of days. Holiday is booked and paid for in full, so I'm looking forward to that now.
    Bought my sisters birthday card & present (its tomorrow) so that just needs wrapping. Worked last night (double pay) worked this morning and working tonight, working tomorrow both aswel.
    Have a lunch date with an old school friend on Friday after work for her birthday.
    Out on Saturday night for my sisters birthday.
    Just hoping I can manage it all on a budget and still manage to pay a little off the cc and od. Also need to clear my visa bill again before the 18th.

I hope somebody starts reading this soon, could do with a kick up the arris to keep my motivation up.

xxxxxxxxx
    136 Posts
    Halfway down page 6...if anyone actually reads this please make yourself known...I think if no one is reading I might give it up for dead.
    I'm not getting the motivation from it that I'd hoped for and seen in other diaries I've read...perhaps I need to post more elsewhere. I've tried the daily chat, but I dont get online much and tend to lose track of the thread by the time i get round to posting.

Anyway...in other news, 40p spend today, working tonight and start at 6pm so I might have to pay for my parking if I cant get on the staff carpark. so that'll be another £1.20

That'll be it for today though I think.
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Welcome back to diaryland! I think you must have posted at popular times and fallen off the front page too quickly as the regulars luuurve nothing better than a new diary. ;)

Where are you thinking of going on holiday? MSE style I hope!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    136 Posts
    Holiday is booked...jet off to Benidorm for a week in little over three weeks time, not entirely MSE, but it is all inclusive, and mostly paid for by the boy, so not too bad.

I'm thinking of trying to set myself a few challenges, need to save up for the big house hunt after Christmas.need to get the deposit saved up at least, and a list of stuff we need (and maybe want?)

Thanks for posting Fire fox...reading your comment has given me back a little bit of motivation knowing that im not completely alone in here. I hope you keep reading and posting.

xxxxxx
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just stumbled across your diary and wanted to wish you good luck with everything and hope you have a great holiday!
    Emergency Fund - £9275.56 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £28,875.44
    LISA 22/23 - £4000 :: NSD 2023 - 22 / 180 :: Books Read: 6 / 52 :: Decluttering - 68 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals