Problem with Talk Talk Query.

I Emailed Talk Talk as I wanted info on the Free Broadband Package.
I asked if I could still use Alpha Telecom to call China as it costs only 2p per minute as opposed to TT 4p per minute. TT said that as this was a BT service I could not use Alpha. I called Alpha and they said Alpha (where you dial 1833 before the number could be used with any landline and it was not a BT Product.
Who is right?
Any experts out there who can tell me.
Thanks.

Comments

• ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Talk Talk will block the use off override numbers if you are paying them your line rental . BT are the only company who have to let you use override numbers . This is why it is recommended keeping line rental with BT and using other providers for cps .
  • See Martin Lewis's article in todays Guardian Money section. He writes that specialiest override providers can be used if you're signed up to TalkTalk.
  • lemontree
    lemontree Posts: 893 Forumite
    So does that mean I can use Alpha.
    Sorry I did not buy the Guardian today.
    Thanks for help!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    lemontree wrote:
    I Emailed Talk Talk as I wanted info on the Free Broadband Package.
    I asked if I could still use Alpha Telecom to call China as it costs only 2p per minute as opposed to TT 4p per minute. TT said that as this was a BT service I could not use Alpha. I called Alpha and they said Alpha (where you dial 1833 before the number could be used with any landline and it was not a BT Product.
    Who is right?
    Any experts out there who can tell me.
    Thanks.
    For calls to China, there are at least 10 cheaper options (6 of which don't require an account) on the MSE International Callchecker so I wouldn't bother with the 1833 route to Alpha.
    See Martin Lewis's article in todays Guardian Money section. He writes that specialiest override providers can be used if you're signed up to TalkTalk.
    I think he means the many providers offering 0844/0871/09 dial-through numbers can be used, not 1899, 18866 and the like.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure