update for undergrad social work students 2006/2007

Options
The new bursary packs are now available here: http://www.gscc.org.uk/Training+and+learning/Become+a+social+worker/Bursaries/Bursary+downloads.htm

For undergrad students in England:
Students studying full time in London upto £2,900 p/a + tuition fees paid
Students studying outside London upto £2,500 p/a + tuition fees paid

Also maintenance grants/loans available from your LEA.

Hope this helps someone! Its certainly made things clearer for me!
Sam

Comments

• sockospice
    sockospice Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't rely on getting this money before November. No matter if you send off the form on time or not, you won't get any money until you've completed your GSCC registration, which last year took 8 weeks.
  • SamMoffatt28
    SamMoffatt28 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Options
    sockospice wrote:
    Whatever you do, don't rely on getting this money before November. No matter if you send off the form on time or not, you won't get any money until you've completed your GSCC registration, which last year took 8 weeks.

Thats ok I intend to save the money if I can anyway, my car has just about had it and I'm putting some of my bursary towards a new one which will hopefully see me all the way through uni and make getting to placements alot easier too!
    Sam
  • Catseyez
    Catseyez Posts: 993 Forumite
    Options
    The new bursary packs are now available here: http://www.gscc.org.uk/Training+and+learning/Become+a+social+worker/Bursaries/Bursary+downloads.htm

For undergrad students in England:
    Students studying full time in London upto £2,900 p/a + tuition fees paid
    Students studying outside London upto £2,500 p/a + tuition fees paid

Also maintenance grants/loans available from your LEA.

Hmmm...this is for students who do not pay variable fees. It is slightly different for those who pay variable rates. This where I'm confused. I thought uni fees are now variable because they decide how much to charge, not the government. Correct me if I'm wrong :confused:

I'm still waiting to hear if I've got an interview - have left it quite late in the UCAS year to apply. Do you know where you're going? I can't wait!
  • Imperfect_One
    Options
    Catseyez wrote:
    Hmmm...this is for students who do not pay variable fees. It is slightly different for those who pay variable rates. This where I'm confused. I thought uni fees are now variable because they decide how much to charge, not the government. Correct me if I'm wrong :confused:

I'm still waiting to hear if I've got an interview - have left it quite late in the UCAS year to apply. Do you know where you're going? I can't wait!

I am with you on this one .... the figures given originally would be for continuing students who are not under the new top up fees scheme. The document states ...

If you are not subject to variable tuition fees we will offer you the
    grant rate below, which is paid in three instalments.

Students studying full-time at a London-based university or college
    Up to £2,900 for a 52-week period.

Students studying full-time at a university or college outside London
    Up to £2,500 for a 52-week period.

We will also pay your tuition fees directly to your university or college after 1 December 2006. If you withdraw before this date, we are not responsible for any tuition fee payment. We will pay the balance of tuition fees not covered by your English LA up to £1,200.

If you are subject* to variable tuition fees we will offer you the grant rate
    below, which is paid in three instalments.

Students studying full-time at a London-based university or college
    Up to £4,400 for a 52-week period.

Students studying full-time at a university or college outside London
    Up to £4,000 for a 52-week period.

As the grant contains a tuition fee contribution, we are not responsible for
    paying any tuition fee to your university or college. How you use the grant is up to you. You do not have to use it towards your tuition fees if you choose.
    *Your university or college has the authority to charge you variable tuition
    fees (regardless of whether they choose to and how much they charge).
  • SamMoffatt28
    Options
    I think you'd have to ask your Uni whether the fees are variable or fixed. As far as I am aware my Uni are going to charge £3000 fixed tuition fee per year of study.

Which Uni are you going to? I am going to University of Central Lancashire.
    I just found out that my friend from college has also got in, so at least I will know one person there so it doesnt seem quite as daunting.
    Sam
  • Imperfect_One
    Options
    I think you'd have to ask your Uni whether the fees are variable or fixed. As far as I am aware my Uni are going to charge £3000 fixed tuition fee per year of study.

Which Uni are you going to? I am going to University of Central Lancashire.
    I just found out that my friend from college has also got in, so at least I will know one person there so it doesnt seem quite as daunting.

I think it still counts as a variable fee though as they are able to charge anything up to 3000 and the majority of unis are going with the full 3000.

I am looking at going at moving to Carlisle/Lakes area and cancelled offer I had from a Uni in Southampton to apply to St Martins College which is validated by lancaster uni, however, if I do not get in there or my hubby doesn't get on his course (media subjects) then I will be looking at others nearby including your uni.

On the subject of finance does anyone know if the social work bursary would exclude you from the unis own bursary?
  • SamMoffatt28
    Options
    On the subject of finance does anyone know if the social work bursary would exclude you from the unis own bursary?

From what I have read you can apply for the Uni's own bursary as well, apparently I am eligible for the 'ones to watch scholarship' of £1000 but I don't know if it depends on your circumstances.
    Sam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport