which insurance/assurance do I need to cover interest only mortgage?

Options
We have switched our mortgage from repayment to interest only for a few years as cannot afford repayments whilst only one decent salary coming in (I'm Mummy at the moment!).

We did not change our mortgage insurance/assurance (not sure what its called) policy so are still paying for decreasing term policy although we are not making any capital repayments on our mortgage now. Which type of cover should I be searching for - level termassurance or mortage life cover??? I just want cheapest possible policy that would pay off mortgage if either my husband or myself were to die.
MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!

Comments

• regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Options
    level term so cover does not decrease

i don't want to sound patrionising, but do you have anything in place as an investment plan to back your mortgage enabling you change to interest only? and will it really help your situation in a few years
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    level term assurance (as mentioned) or pension term assurance can be the best options. Which of the two depends on age, term, tax position and companies you get quotes on.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • apples1
    apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for both replies. I thought it would be level term I needed even tho it is for mortgage cover.
    i don't want to sound patrionising, but do you have anything in place as an investment plan to back your mortgage enabling you change to interest only? and will it really help your situation in a few years

Nationwide offer this option as long as you have a low loan to value. I do appreciate its not ideal and if i could afford an investment plan then I wouldn't have stopped the capital repayments. At the end of the day it was that or sell (either to buy small or rent). We want to stay for various personal reasons and in a few years we will either return to repayment mortgage or sell. At the moment the house is rising in value - up over £80k in last year or so and for us its like paying rent whilst still (hopefully!) benefiting from staying on the property ladder.

Wish we could afford the extra but we just cannot. We have a very tight budget and we are sticking to it like glue!
    MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
  • apples1
    apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    Where is the best starting place to shop around for these policies?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure