We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

when does a courgette become a marrow?

Options
linguistics aside, at what length/ weight/ age does a courgette become classed as a marrow?

Comments

• Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whenever you look at it and think 'dang, I missed that one'.

Why?
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Err.... about 6" :o
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    It becomes a marrow exactly ten seconds after you decide, right, that one doesn't need picking tonight and go back indoors for your tea.

I would say that once you can't wrap your fingers round it without there being a gap between thumb and index finger, it is officially no longer a courgette, or in other words, once it goes from looking a bit rude to positively obscene in your hands!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    What a wonderful thread and fantastic replies :rotfl:
  • southernscouser
    Options
    once it goes from looking a bit rude to positively obscene in your hands!

As your name suggests, you're probably gripping it too tight. If it goes purple, you definitely are. :)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    As your name suggests, you're probably gripping it too tight. If it goes purple, you definitely are. :)

Never had any complaints...:D
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • hungrynurse_2
    Options
    never thought such a question would initiate so many top replies! Was thinking more for the purposes of cooking
  • irishwexford
    Options
    How I agree with some of these replies. Last year I lost the plot, left allotment in evening with courgettes, came back next morning to find marrows. As quick as that. This year I am picking them small but still have a lot of marrows growing in raspberries, rhurbarb and everywhere else even though I did not plant any, must be the birds. I dont like marrows.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    never thought such a question would initiate so many top replies! Was thinking more for the purposes of cooking

What, you want a serious reply??? Oh how boring...

Well, it's when the seed cavity in the centre of the courgette starts opening up. If you cut a courgette open crossways the flesh should still be solid all the way through. Once it starts to go fibrous and stringy in the centre, it's a marrow. You usually have to scoop this bit out when you prepare a marrow. So if a given courgette seems light for its size, it's a marrow.

And maturity has nothing to do with size btw. (;)) Different varieties of courgette plant produce different sizes of courgette/marrows. There are varieties which only produce mini courgettes and varieties which are bred to produce giant marrows.
    Val.
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    a survey I read in a book in boots claims that gardeners exaggerate the size of their marrows by 50% to impress the neighbours
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport