PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

how do you clean a tent that is dirty and may have mold on it?

Options

Comments

• sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm sure I've read that biological washing powder works. I recall scrubbing a mildewy pushchair with it, and it did a good job.
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    FrankieM wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've got a trailer tent. It's a Nimrod and has got some mould on the canvas.
    We are hoping that we've sorted out the leak but what can I do about the mould?
    I've brushed it and sprayed a solution of lemon juice, salt and water. I sponged it on at first to see whether that was any better, but it still seems to be stained.
    Is there anything else I can do or am I just going to have to put up with the staining?
    Thanks

Try this older thread on cleaning a tent ;) I think you may need to live with the stain, though, sorry :o

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The following advice comes for the "Camping and Caravanning Magazine" and was published in 2003. It refers to an awning but the same advice can be applied to a tent. However, I don't know if the telephone numbers are still applicable.

To treat mildew on an awning

First, treat the area with either a one part Milton Sterilising Fluid to ten parts water mix, or a solution of water and white vinegar. Leave for half an hour and this will kill the spores.

Next, wash the area well with water. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to remove staining. Certainly do not use detergent – this will damage the fabric's waterproof treatment.

It may be necessary to reproof the affected area. Use a good quality agent like Grangers (tel 01773 521521) or Nikwax (tel 01892 786400). Allow to dry thoroughly before packing away.

To avoid mildew, as soon as you get back from your camping trip clean and thoroughly dry your gear, store in a clean, dry area, preferably loosely folded to allow circulation of air.

Camping and caravanning, Oct 2003
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 May 2009 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Can you use Fabsil for re-proofing a canvas tent? I've used it on polyester one but never a canvas one......

<wanders off to google and answer her own question>

EDIT: Just discovered that Fabsil IS Grangers are mentioned above. Doh!
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • snit_girl
    snit_girl Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    I'm off to T in the Park next week and I got my tent out today to give it an airing as it hasn't been out of the bag since the last one. Anyway, there was a receipt left in one of the inner pockets, it must have been damp and it has left a rectangular mould stain on the tent inner.

I've not tried anything yet, leaving it for tomorrow and I was wondering what would remove the mould (and freshen up the tent)?
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    snit_girl wrote: »
    I've not tried anything yet, leaving it for tomorrow and I was wondering what would remove the mould (and freshen up the tent)?

Have you seen this older thread on cleaning a tent? I'll add this one later to keep ideas together :)

Enjoy the festival :T
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Paulie'sGirl Posts: 923 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

We're regular campers. Sometimes the mould thing happens!

I tend to use Dettol to clean and freshen. I've not managed to ever get stains out of the polyester.

You could try asking the folks over on the ukcampsite forum, we're a friendly bunch :) You'd want the "camping under canvas" subforum.

PGxx
  • janetjohnson
    Options
    The best way to get your tent back into pleasant-smelling shape is to set it up and clean it with cold water and a non-detergent soap. Use a non-abrasive sponge to clean any parts that are visibly dirty. Then rinse the tent thoroughly, take to a shady place and let it air dry until it is completely dry.

Happy camping!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 28 May 2017 at 9:34AM
    Options
    The best way to get your tent back into pleasant-smelling shape is to set it up and clean it with cold water and a non-detergent soap. Use a non-abrasive sponge to clean any parts that are visibly dirty. Then rinse the tent thoroughly, take to a shady place and let it air dry until it is completely dry.

Happy camping!
    This thread was first started over 11 years ago and the last time anyone asked for advice on cleaning a tent was almost 7 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport