PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how do you clean a tent that is dirty and may have mold on it?

Options
how do you clean a tent that is dirty and may have mold on it? is it just a question of hand washing it? or should it be dry cleaned or can we put in a machine? partner thinks that shoudl really be done by professionals such as dry cleaners but am sure this can be done in another way. thanks

Comments

• rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest I'd probably try and clean it initially with a bucket of water and a good sponge. Then I'd put it up and go round it carefully. WOuldn't put it in a machine in case something got tangled, but pretty certain that hand washing it down would be okay....afterall tents are meant to protect from the elements....including rain....which is water, so it can't be dry clean only.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • tina68
    tina68 Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    Why not have a go at soaking it in the bath with some washing powder and then shower it off to rinse it...then pop it over the washing line..no harm in trying i don't suppose or you could phone a supplier and see what the recommend
    Tina x:confused:
    on this day 23/05/1430
    Joan of Arc captured and delivered to the English
  • Strepsy
    Strepsy Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    Options
    Don't use softener as it can intefere with the function of treated fabrics.
    I've been lucky, I'll be lucky again. ~ Bette Davis
  • rainbowkanga
    Options
    I'm afraid you will have a fair bit of trouble treating the mould.

We camp regularly and a dirty tent is best washed by putting it up in gaden and washing down with water = you probably won't need any detergent or anything - if you did its best to use something made for the purpose from a camping shop - but I've never needed more than hot water and a soft brush or cloth.

If it is the inners which have the mould on them I would handwash them with washing powder and then you could try a mould treatment on them as basically all they are is cotton but mould is very difficult to get out. Despite being absolutely clean when put away and stored in a garage we had an inner which developed mould and in the end after trying everything I threw it away and got a replacement (son has asthma so didn't want him sleeping with mould spores).

Good luck!
  • searcher30
    searcher30 Posts: 356 Forumite
    Options
    Big Big thanks to everyone for your advice
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I've shoved a tent in the wmachine before now - sorry to report it achieves nothing :(

Not all tent liners are cotton nowadays.

However, if you air the tent or have a modicum of resolve (and children who don't suffer from asthma) there is nothing to stop you using it anyway :)

Or search on Ebay for a tent that someone has used once or twice and then abandoned......:D
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Gingermonkey_2
    Options
    Try sterilising fluid for any mouldy bits - I managed to remove mould from the inners of my tent with the aid of Asda's cheap sterilising tablets, a sponge and a little patience!
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just one thought, would a washed tent need any waterproofing treatment after, especially if you have used some kind of detergent on it?
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Are you washing the tent, or just the innards? Innards don't need waterproofing, IMHO. Certainly the tent (innards) which went into the washer was still waterproof afterwards. It's the outer skin which needs to be waterproof.

Sudden thought - this is a 2-skin tent we're talking about, isn't it? If not, I know it's not very MSE, but you can get new 2-person single skin tents in Woolworths for about £13! :p
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    I've got a trailer tent. It's a Nimrod and has got some mould on the canvas.
    We are hoping that we've sorted out the leak but what can I do about the mould?
    I've brushed it and sprayed a solution of lemon juice, salt and water. I sponged it on at first to see whether that was any better, but it still seems to be stained.
    Is there anything else I can do or am I just going to have to put up with the staining?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport