We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What to sow now

Options
As a newbie most of my veggies were a disaster (tomatoes, broccoli, sprouts & squash) and feel close to not bothering, but I really want to give it a go again as I have enjoyed getting the few bits I have.

I have had many attempt at Broccoli but as soon as a small floret appears I leave it to get bigger (right?) but then just goes to seed. Is it right you just get a few small florets of each one?

Anyway, my patch is more or less empty, except for my beans, rhubarb and Asparagus. So what can I plant now, perhaps I should do things in pots first to be a little more successful. I have checked out the Gardeners World website to get some advice on what I should/can do now and thing that beetroot is one.

any advice on what I can do now and if I can do them in pots?

p.s. At least my fruit trees and bushes have excelled (gooseberry & ginger, plum yum)
TopCashback £1792.63
My Little World

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check out http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/index.php it's a forum devoted to growing your own and has better advice on it than this one tbh. You can sit and read through past pots for a few days and learn an awful lot.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    I think you have done well if you have got asparagus and green beans although the latter are said to be easy (I am not good at growing them). I don't think this is a good time to sow anything but you can check the link you were given. You can put garlic in the ground in October for next year.If you ever grow flowers you can sow wallflowers under cover now for next Spring. In time you will learn how to grow all sorts of things and some veg are are easier than others. We had our local show last Sat and it was a lady who won most point for veg - same every year. I got the most for flower section but there was no competition so it doesn't count for me.
  • SEE
    SEE Posts: 722 Forumite
    Options
    Jake'sGran wrote: »
    I think you have done well if you have got asparagus and green beans although the latter are said to be easy (I am not good at growing them). I don't think this is a good time to sow anything but you can check the link you were given. You can put garlic in the ground in October for next year.If you ever grow flowers you can sow wallflowers under cover now for next Spring. In time you will learn how to grow all sorts of things and some veg are are easier than others. We had our local show last Sat and it was a lady who won most point for veg - same every year. I got the most for flower section but there was no competition so it doesn't count for me.
    I've put onion sets and garlic in for next year, and sown some more swiss chard. You can also sow most lettuce all year round if you have a greenhouse or big kitchen windowsill.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What to sow now about two-thirds of the way down the page.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    SEE wrote: »
    I've put onion sets and garlic in for next year, and sown some more swiss chard. You can also sow most lettuce all year round if you have a greenhouse or big kitchen windowsill.

Can I plant seeds now for garlic and onions?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure