We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Leeks - am I doing this wrong?

Options
First time I'm doing a veg patch, so this is probably a daft question.

I have some leeks and one has grown a flower (not yet blossomed) that has caused the plant to keel over so it's now lying on the ground. Reading around, I'm a bit confused. Should I be cutting off the flower or leave it? One of the other plants has just started growing a flower too.

I understand that I'm also supposed to trim back the leaves but don't understand how this will benefit the plants.

Anyone with any experience with leeks, I'd really appreciate your advice please.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 August 2009 at 8:24AM
    Options
    Can you tell us when you sowed them, how you have transplanted them and how close are they planted?

If they go to flower they've had it, either use them very quickly, or I use them for stock making as they go tough.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Organic12
    Organic12 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Can you tell us when you sowed them and when, when and how you have transplanted them and how close are they planted?

If they go to flower they've had it, either use them very quickly, or I use them for stock making as they go tough.

Oh nooooo!!! I guess it's only two of them though and as you say, I can make a good stock with them.

I bought them from a garden centre when they resembled blades of grass. Some are very close together and some have 10cm between them. I think that happened as they were so tiddly when I first got them and impossible to split.

Hope that's enough information and thanks for helping me out Lotus-eater.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you saying they are all next to one another? If so you need to split them and move them.
    A video on transplanting them for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFAuN7L_BvM
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Organic12
    Options
    Thanks so much Lotus-eater! That clip is really helpful.

My leeks are much bigger than those in the clip but I'll see if I can move them when I take up the two that are flowering.

I really appreciate your help.

O
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Organic12 wrote: »
    Oh nooooo!!! I guess it's only two of them though and as you say, I can make a good stock with them.

I bought them from a garden centre when they resembled blades of grass. Some are very close together and some have 10cm between them. I think that happened as they were so tiddly when I first got them and impossible to split.

Hope that's enough information and thanks for helping me out Lotus-eater.

When was this?

I'd suggest uprooting them all and planting them with about 6 inches inbetween each one. All alliums can cope with being uprooted and replanted; in fact it often spurs them on. If you lose a few roots along the way it doesn't matter, they will reroot

They have probably bolted [gone to seed] from being stressed, and thinking they were dying....usually from drying out if they are quite young.
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2009 at 1:43PM
    Options
    When leeks do this the inner white part usually goes hard. I would remove the flowering ones and eat them as quick as possible. Remove the white inner part if its hard and eat the rest of the leek. Leeks are perennials so you could collect the seed of a flowering plant and sow it next year.

Also, you said one of the plants has keeled over. This could be a sign of not enough water. If the leek feels soft and floppy, it might not be getting enough water. Try watering the remaining leeks with warm water and if you can move them into a warmer area (green house) it should stop them from flowering.
  • Organic12
    Options
    I planted the leeks back in April. I plan to uproot and use the two that have flowered this weekend but also will replant the others as you have advised.

Thanks for saving my poor stressed leeks.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport