We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Wasps in compost bin

Options
Hi

Have just gone to put veg peelings in compost bin (large green plastic one as provided by council at discount - rectangular). Surprised to find it literally crawling with wasps in side and now fear we must have a bike in there somewhere? Other than rotting fruit, nothing sweet in there - and have never noticed unusual amount of wasps before, just one or two in vicinity.

Do people agree this may be a nest? Saw about 3-4 dozen crawlng around on surface of compost (largely hedge clippings at present).

If so can anyone advise how on Earth I would set about getting rid of them? Would not want to use chemicals if at all possible as this would presumably ruin the compost for gardening purposes and would leave me with a large amount of rubbish I was not sure how to get rid of. (Would not want to put it to the green rubbish sector at the tip either due to chemicals)

Thanks in advance for any advice
Katyk

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills